[SOLVED] Possible power supply problem?

Aug 3, 2020
My PC keeps freezing and i have to force shutdown. It usually freezes when playing games. My drivers are updated.
Could the problem be with my power supply? I changed my graphics card and thats when the freezing started.

SPECS:
----------------------------------------------
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS B150M-A
CPU: Intel-Core i5, 6600K
GPU: Geforce RTX 2060 Gaming Z
PSU: Coolermaster 500W
RAM: 16GB
SSD: Kingston SA400S37480G
--------------------------------------------

Or what else could cause it? My previous GPU was Geforce GTX 960

Solution
Hi, i have wiped my video drivers and clean installed. My exact PSU is following: Cooler Master B500 VER. 2 KPC ATX 12V V2,3 standard
Your power supply is a very low quality model and also an old design. It actually only outputs 400 watts for the +12volt needs of your system, so calling it a 500 watt model is misleading by Cooler Master. While it's not certain to be the cause of your computer freezing, you'd be well advised to replace it anyways. Considering its age and low quality, it could very well end up being the problem.

A high quality model will be able to deliver close to its full rated output on the +12volt rail. Your system can run on a good 550 watt model. Check this list for suitable brands and models. I would...
My PC keeps freezing and i have to force shutdown. It usually freezes when playing games. My drivers are updated.
Could the problem be with my power supply? I changed my graphics card and thats when the freezing started.

SPECS:
----------------------------------------------
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS B150M-A
CPU: Intel-Core i5, 6600K
GPU: Geforce RTX 2060 Gaming Z
PSU: Coolermaster 500W
RAM: 16GB
SSD: Kingston SA400S37480G
--------------------------------------------

Or what else could cause it? My previous GPU was Geforce GTX 960
You only increased your power use by 40 watts between the 2 video cards. I think the problem may be something else. You may need to wipe the video drivers completely and do a clean install. What is the exact model of your power supply? How old is it?

Reactions: ocaylle
Aug 3, 2020
You only increased your power use by 40 watts between the 2 video cards. I think the problem may be something else. You may need to wipe the video drivers completely and do a clean install. What is the exact model of your power supply? How old is it?
Hi, i have wiped my video drivers and clean installed. My exact PSU is following: Cooler Master B500 VER. 2 KPC ATX 12V V2,3 standard

Your power supply is a very low quality model and also an old design. It actually only outputs 400 watts for the +12volt needs of your system, so calling it a 500 watt model is misleading by Cooler Master. While it's not certain to be the cause of your computer freezing, you'd be well advised to replace it anyways. Considering its age and low quality, it could very well end up being the problem.

A high quality model will be able to deliver close to its full rated output on the +12volt rail. Your system can run on a good 550 watt model. Check this list for suitable brands and models. I would advise you to stay with selections from tier A or B.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

Reactions: ocaylle
Solution

TRENDING THREADS