Possible Problems with Motherboard?

Claud95

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Hi, since a while ago, my Motherboard has started behaving in a weird way. Here's all that has happened until now:

The first problem: When an Earthquake struck on my country, My Pc had restarted it's Time, it was changed to 01/01/2000, then I confirmed that the BIOS set Up has also restarted. That was about 2 years ago.

Months later, My computer needed to boot at least 4 times to boot properly, sometimes 6, and sometimes won't boot. This problem was fixed by taking out all of the PC parts to clean them and then installing them back in the Case.
From that moment, it needs just to boot twice to start. Not normal, but also wasn't a big problem.

Months later, I've noticed every time i disconnected my PC from a Power Supply (example, when moving it), it's BIOS goes back to default, every time.

And now, playing the overwatch beta the PC suddenly turned off because of a possible overheating. I checked the PC internally, no "Burnt" smell was found, yet when i started it, the GPU fan won't spin. 5 mins later I attempted to turn it on again and behaved normally, but as always, the BIOS was reset.

And now, not doing anything, constantly checking it's temp, it turned off suddenly again, and when came back on, my monitor won't recognize my GPU, I checked, and now neither of the CPU and GPU fans were spinning, however the fans of the case were working properly. It fixed the same way, waited 5 mins and turned back on, but this time it wasn't overheating. Also, BIOS was reset.

What it could be the cause of my PC problem?

Specs:
Motherboard ASUS P8-H61 i believe
CPU i5 3330k
GPU EVGA geforce GTX 650ti
PSU Corsair CX750

Solution

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

This is some very odd activity.

When your system reset it's time to 01/01/2000, did the power on the pc go out by any chance?
If it did, then that was what probably caused for it to reset.
If the CMOS battery on the motherboard is dead, then that's what's most likely causing the BIOS resets and time resets whenever you turn off the PSU. The cmos battery is what keeps everything from your mobo, like the time, and all the settings. If a system containing a cmos battery is shut off by the psu, it will lose its track of time and settings (for old consoles like the PlayStation 2, powering off from power button everytime and not turning off the psu would reset the settings and date and time, not just powering off psu)
Your first attempt would to be to remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard inside the system. It looks like a calculator battery, but a slight bit thicker.
NOTE: Some motherboard companies don't allow you to remove the motherboard battery. If the battery doesn't grudge at all when attempting to remove it, don't force it. See how you can replace dead motherboard batteries even when you can't remove the battery online.
If you have removed the old battery, order a new cmos battery online and replace it.
Reconfigure the date and time and all the settings in the motherboard bios. turn off the system, flip off the psu, flip it back on and turn on the system and check if the settings and date and time are reset again. If they aren't, then it was most likely the battery that died years back.
If it still does reset, then it wasn't the battery. You can either keep the new battery you replaced with the old one, or reapply the old one back in.
As for when you disconnected the power supply, again, the cmos battery may have died years back and everytime you turn off the psu, it loses track of time. that should be fixed if the case of replacing the dead battery worked.

For the problem where the PC turned off because of a possible overheating, you first off have to do something about that overheating. Could of possibly overloaded the PSU. if you think thats the case and it's the psu, try replacing the psu with a higher class psu. if the psu turned off from overheating, then it may have likely been the psu overheating, because in ALMOST any case, it shouldn't turn off the system completely, just some components inside the system until the system cools down.

And for when it turned off suddenly, must've overheated another time. Again, try replacing the psu, you never know if it could be the psu.
You know, it could also be the motherboard and not the cmos battery or the psu. The motherboard could be overheating and causing all these problems. Try replacing the motherboard as well.

So you have a few things to do:

-replace the CMOS battery to fix the date and time and bios settings reset issue
-Replace the psu and see if it still shuts down the system
-Replace the motherboard

But first do the cmos battery replacement, THEN the psu replacement. if the system still overheats with the replaced psu and turns off the new psu, it may be your motherboard then.

All of this could be the motherboard you know. the gpu fans not spinning, not picking up the gpu, it could be that.

Good luck!

Solution

Claud95

Commendable
May 11, 2016

So it seems it was what i was suspecting of, I'll do as you say and then I'll post the answers.

About the overheating, It was my fault, there was something in the way of the fan, making it overheat.

thanks

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Good, now that you know what the overheating was from and it's been solved, then all you need to do is fix the time and date problem