[SOLVED] Possible PSU Failure

BraxVitto

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to find some help on this little conundrum. My gaming desktop computer is a little less than a year old, specs are

Processor: Intel I7 7700k
GPU: EVGA brand Nvidia 1080ti
Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC Mate
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Gold Full Modular 650w
With 2 2TB Hard Drives

I believe this to be a PSU issue that I have no idea how to fix. Heres the story.

About a month ago the computer completely froze up. I went through a few proceedures in an effort to get the machine to unfreeze, they were not successful so I powered it down and went to restart it. The computer would start, case fans would run and light up, GPU lights would come on, the whole deal, but it would only last for a second or two before it would power down and repeat that process again after 5-7 seconds. Eventually I was able to get it to boot completely and function like normal again by disconnecting all the accessories off it (keyboard, mouse, wifi adapter exc.)

It proceeded to function completely fine until I attempted to use it last night. It had frozen just like before and is now doing the same process of turning on for a second or two before powering down and trying to restart again. The previous trick of unplugging the peripherals did not work to fix the issue.

Am I correct in suspecting a PSU issue and what steps can I take to rectify the issue?

Solution
Well...you could run some software like HWMonitor to monitor the PSU voltages.

Perhaps you will see one or more of your voltages are out of wack.

If not....you can setup HWmonitor to log the data. Then if it crashes again and you can get the log file you can view it and see if something happened with the voltages just before the crash.

OR.....if all that sounds like too much work....you could just replace the PSU.

Well...you could run some software like HWMonitor to monitor the PSU voltages.

Perhaps you will see one or more of your voltages are out of wack.

If not....you can setup HWmonitor to log the data. Then if it crashes again and you can get the log file you can view it and see if something happened with the voltages just before the crash.

OR.....if all that sounds like too much work....you could just replace the PSU.

Solution

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Have you tried unplugging your peripherals again? I'd do them one at a time, and, if it doesn't work after each, plug it back in and try another until you've narrowed it down to one. Also, what's your PSU's wattage?

BraxVitto

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
I’ve updated it because I foolishly forgot to list the wattage of the PSU, its a 650W, and yes I have unplugged the peripherals and it didn’t start this time.