[SOLVED] Possible PSU fried? Suggestions please

fdanz20

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Hi Tom’s Hardware community

I’ll ask you about a part of my PC, but first I’ll tell you what happened this morning so as to give you a little background.

My PC was powered off but connected. Suddenly the power went off, came back and went off again. I thought it had to do with my city’s electric service. I went to my room (where I keep my PC) and at once noticed a burnt smell. I didn’t pay attention at first because I thought it came from outside. Some time later I heard sparks and saw smoke coming out of my PC tower. I disconnected the power supply, opened up my PC tower and unplugged all internal cables. Smoke also came out from a TV and a CRT monitor in my house so we disabled the main power switch. An electrician came and fixed the problem, telling us it was caused by a connection issue in our house. The CRT monitor still works, the TV somewhat works but the image is awful, our washing machine, microwave and internet modem don’t work anymore.

I switched my PC on with an old power supply (CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 600w) and it works. Didn’t try it with the Video Card though

I would like to ask you this: Could it be that the power supply released some smoke but didn’t break? It has a terrible burnt smell so I doubt it. Could it be fixed if it was broken? Or I would be better off getting a new one? In case you recommend getting a new one I’ll edit the post to ask for suggestions.

PC details:

-i7 7700 – stock cooler
-Asus h270 Prime Plus
  • 16 GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz
  • 1 TB WD Blue 7200rpm
  • MSI RX 570 4Gb Armor OC
  • Power supply (the smoky one) XFX XTR 650w

Thank you for your time.

Solution
What you SHOULD do, is test the power supply OUTSIDE of the system. That way you will know if it is working correctly, or at least SEEMS to be working correctly or not, first.