[SOLVED] Possible PSU issue, looking for ideas

Apr 11, 2020
Hey guys, I'm just upgraded my components a bit, here're the specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97m Pro4
CPU: Core i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1070 WindForce 2X Factory OC
RAM: 8G DDR3 x2 + 4G DDR3 x 2
PSU: Antec VPA500P (Pretty old, noisy fan, but 500w)
Harddrve: 2 x 1T HDD + 250G SD
VR: Lenovo Explorer

It was a long-running server before converted into gaming. and I've just got the 1070 & VR setup for Assetto Corsa today. To power the 8-pin GPU, I bought a 2 Molex => 8 pin convertor.

Game plays fine, for like 15 mins, then it shuts off, followed by immediate automatic reboot.

It happenened twice, and I can smell some burning smell from PSU. I decided to stop playing and wrote this post.

I'm still quite new to PC building and I'm sure this might sound newbie. But here're my questions.

1. Could it be the Molex x2 => 8 pin adapter, resulting in 1070 drawing too much power from PSU?
  2. I used an online PSU voltage calculator, it indicates I needed 471w, which the PSU seem to be able to deliver, right?
  3. How do I know if a PSU is too old and due for replacement? What tool/benchmark do I run?
  4. Could it be some other components causing issue? (CPU never OC'ed, GPU factory OC'ed)
  5. Could it be mixed usage of RAM that's causing the blackouts?
  6. What other info do I need to provide?

I've done fair a bit of search already, but non fits my exact issue. Any hit towards what/where tool/benchmark/post/youtube I should look for is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Solution
I used an online PSU voltage calculator, it indicates I needed 471w, which the PSU seem to be able to deliver, right?

If that is this unit, it's rated only 456W on the 12V bus where the greatest power draw (CPU and GPU) is on modern systems. On-line calculators aren't very accurate but 500-456-471 are all too close for comfort if that one happens to be, even if conservatively so. They also don't consider that a PSU's effective capacity declines as components age.

And besides, if you're smelling burning electronics in the PSU exhaust then components are being cooked inside there. For that, your nose is the only tool you need: it's only a matter of time...
I used an online PSU voltage calculator, it indicates I needed 471w, which the PSU seem to be able to deliver, right?

If that is this unit, it's rated only 456W on the 12V bus where the greatest power draw (CPU and GPU) is on modern systems. On-line calculators aren't very accurate but 500-456-471 are all too close for comfort if that one happens to be, even if conservatively so. They also don't consider that a PSU's effective capacity declines as components age.

And besides, if you're smelling burning electronics in the PSU exhaust then components are being cooked inside there. For that, your nose is the only tool you need: it's only a matter of time (and not much) before something pops. You don't want that.

I'd get at least a 550W unit, 650W if at all possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacktator
Solution
As you have already considered yourself, the fact that you have to use an adaptor to power the GPU is also a strong indication, that your PSU is either old , of poor quality or inadequate for your setup..

I would highly recommend upgradig the PSU to a suitable unit of good quality, before even powering on the system again.

A failing PSU leads to a very high risk of permanent damage to other components in your system

Apr 11, 2020

And besides, if you're smelling burning electronics in the PSU exhaust then components are being cooked inside there. For that, your nose is the only tool you need: it's only a matter of time (and not much) before something pops. You don't want that.

I'd get at least a 550W unit, 650W if at all possible.

Can u please recommend one? 650W good quality? Needs to run quiet, no need for lighting n looks stuff.

Can u please recommend one? 650W good quality? Needs to run quiet, no need for lighting n looks stuff.
I'd suggest looking here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

so that the PSU experts aren't miffed.

But personally, I'm extremely pleased with my Corsair RM-650. It's dead silent with fan off during most any work load including gaming. It will come on at a low RPM when Folding a combined GPU and CPU workload with my 5700XT and 3700X processors. But the case fans, GPU fans and radiator fans still dominate...also quietly!

Last edited:
Reactions: jacktator
Apr 11, 2020
I'd suggest looking here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

so that the PSU experts aren't miffed.

But personally, I'm extremely pleased with my Corsair RM-650. It's dead silent with fan off during most any work load including gaming. It will come on at a low RPM when Folding a combined GPU and CPU workload with my 5700XT and 3700X processors. But the case fans, GPU fans and radiator fans still dominate...also quietly!

Thank you!