[SOLVED] Possible PSU problem, help diagnose?

Jan 13, 2020
Hey guys. I don't know what to do anymore..
While gaming, crash. Monitors saying no signal, game audio kinda running(it stutters and at some point it ends, guessing it finished reading it from ram) , pc completely unresponsive but running. No heavy gpu load (50-70% on 57-65 temp) or CPU load (18-45%).

I've used a 1050ti for a while now, 0 problems. Recently I had a sapphire 5700xt which kept having these simptoms and I rma-d it and got a msi 5700xt instead (I trust Msi)
Same thing happening
I have PSU of 550w Corsair.
CPU ryzen 5 3rd series
16gb 2133 MHz

I'm thinking the PSU is too small to handle a 215+ Watt GPU versus the 1050ti which is really watt-friendly, since I've never had a problem with the 1050ti.

Am I right? Do you have any other ideas? I'm tired of spending money on stuff without knowing what is the problem..

Detailed list of watt-consuming devices:
CPU above + stock cpu cooler
Gpu above
Ram above
2 full HD monitors
1 ssd sata, 1 hdd sata, 1 ssd m2
4 case fans (2 with light)
Peripherals: illuminated kb+m, controller, USB cable for phone charging,

When I type it "out loud" like this it does sound like a bit much for a 550w PSU..

Last edited:
Solution
I just reviewed several different brands of 5700 XT and all the manufacturers were recommending PSUs of 600W or higher. The 1050 TI cards only require a minimum 300W PSU. The higher wattage of the 5700 XT, plus the power required for the rest of the hardware, could well be stressing the 550w PSU. I love the AMD Radeons but they are generally power hogs compared to Nvidia's offerings.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Which Corsair 550W? How old is it?

How did you install/reinstall drivers during this transition? Did you update any other drivers (Always a good idea to get the latest from the manufacturer when having issues, motherboard, audio, etc)

You should look into faster memory at some point. 2133 is quite low for Ryzen.

Go ahead and list out your parts with model numbers and everything. 3rd gen Ryzen and an unknown motherboard, hard to say where anything might go wrong.

As usual when troubleshooting, remove anything unnecessary. Unplug non-essential peripherals, fans, etc. Could simply have dislodged something when you swapped the cards, easy to knock loose a SATA cable or power cable and create an intermittent connection due to change in temperature.

Reactions: Sarus115 and JoBalz

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
I just reviewed several different brands of 5700 XT and all the manufacturers were recommending PSUs of 600W or higher. The 1050 TI cards only require a minimum 300W PSU. The higher wattage of the 5700 XT, plus the power required for the rest of the hardware, could well be stressing the 550w PSU. I love the AMD Radeons but they are generally power hogs compared to Nvidia's offerings.

Reactions: Sarus115 and antonr
Solution
Jan 13, 2020
Thank you guys for replying, really appreciate it.

I've only uninstalled/reinstalled nvidia/amd drivers for gpu. But WinUpdate, Mobo and Bios are all on the latest release version.
Not at home atm but CPU is Ryzen 5 3600 (not X), mobo is MSI Bazooka v2 B450M, PSU is Corsair CX550W Modular 80+Bronze which is 4 years old.

I've build PCs for some years now there's nothing wrong with how I swapped/mounted/cable-managed anything in my case.

Some memory hit me now. I used to have two years ago a Nvidia GTX 1070 (back then I had a Intel i5-7x and a gigabyte mobo, same RAM, same PSU, -1 monitor, -1 drive, +1 aftermarket cpu cooler). When I tried playing some heavy games like AC:Origins after a hour or so the SAME thing happened, monitors off, pc unresponsive, hard shut down only option and I got scared and immediately rma-d it. Before that I didn't have a gpu and after that I got the 1050ti.

I've used a calculator when this first happened with the Sapphire to check my wattage usage in my system and I was having like 15-20 watts not used from the 550w, but I guess with the 4 year age it's not as good as the first day. So I will get the new PSU below and get back if it's solved or not.

I found this PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX750M 80+Bronze, or this one RM750 2019 80+Gold (which I found cheaper than cx750m). I think it will be OK? What do you think?

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Side-question: I guess there's nothing wrong with setting a custom fan-curve (40C-0%, 65C-75%, 75C-100%), I don't like how AMD Adrenalin defaults max fan speed at 40%. But this setting can't break anything can it..?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Sorry for keeping this going but I found some info that I think is useful and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

How about underclocking the msi 5700xt to 50% until the new PSU order arrives? Is there any stability risks or other risks exept the obvious lower performance? I won't touch the voltage manually just the clocks In AMD Adrenalin

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you straight reduce the power available that will have the most impact on consumption. GPU should regulate its clock speed, though it might need to be tuned down anyway for stability. Not really something I have seen messed with the 5000 series. Pretty common with Vega though.

Reactions: Sarus115
Jan 13, 2020
Okay so I set the power consumption down to 50% from AMD Adrenalin, it draws a max of 105W now in the most solicitating game I could find. Seems pretty stable. Performance is lower but still better than the 1050ti. Can't wait for the new PSU.

Thanks for the replies, have a good day.