Possible PSU Problem?

mhan555

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Hi,

So I've had this issue for a few months now where my computer is not booting up when I hit the power button. So it will boot up normally at times but usually, the sequence goes:

1. Hit power button, won't bring me to the login page
2. I hold the power button to force shutdown
3. Hit power button again, then it will start loading
4. If that doesn't work I flip the power switch on my PSU then turn it back on

PC Specs:
CPU: i7 6700K
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8)
GPU: Asus Strix 980ti
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2 80+ Gold

mhan555

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

I've never done 1 or 2, I can look into it and see what I find. I've never attempted this before, is there a guideline I can follow for both CMOS clearing and BIOS boot order?

1. To clear the CMOS, unplug the computer, remove the motherboards coin battery for at least 30 seconds, put it back in and reboot. That will reset the BIOS to it's default state.
2. To check the boot order, go to the "BIOS Features > Boot Option Priorities" section of your motherboards BIOS and make sure your Windows drive is set as "Boot Option #1".

mhan555

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

So I took out the battery for 30 secs, it seemed like it booted up slow to get to the login page. I tried shutting down again and booting up and that time I need to force shutdown and hit the PSU switch then turn it back on and it booted up. Here's what my BIOS page looks like https://imgur.com/FUq1ou7

Do you think I need to replace the CMOS battery? It's probably running on 2 years definitely under 3 years.

1. If you unplug your computer at night, you may have run down the CMOS battery, otherwise it should be fine.
2. What is the full name of your motherboard? There are many different versions of Gigabyte GA-Z170X. (GT, G1, 7,5,3)
3. What operating system are you using? Windows 8/10 Features is set to "Default: Other OS"

* Windows 8/10 Features
Allows you to select the operating system to be installed. (Default: Other OS)

mhan555

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

I pulled up my order history from amazon, here's the MOBO I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IBPJ6I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm running windows 10 right now

Try changing "Windows 8/10 Features" to Windows 10 and see if that makes any difference.

mhan555

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

So it gave me two options https://imgur.com/mdkPit1

I chose the first one "Windows 8/10" does the WHQL make a difference?

You could choose either one.

WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) is a Microsoft testing process designed to prove to Microsoft, and ultimately to the customer that a particular hardware or software item will work satisfactorily with Windows.

mhan555

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

Looks like it's still doing the same thing. I thought it was working better but just now had to force shutdown and turn on again and then it brought me to the login page.

Do you think it's a PSU issue? That was my first thought