[SOLVED] Possible PSU problem?

Killmeplsnow

Commendable
May 9, 2017
I've been dealing with this strange issue for a while now but it's always been while sleeping/computer is idle. My computer is on 24/7. I'll only notice because I don't have auto login on Steam and am prompted by the login screen when turning on the monitor in the morning some days. It'll run fine for 7-10 days just fine, I check through Task Manager every once in a while, but then other times just suddenly restart, mostly in the morning. Also noticed offline steam messages nearly every time. (trigger?)

Well today was a bit different. I've been playing some Mario with Dolphin (wii emulator) and finished the game. Moved on to the newer Mario game with Cemu (wii u emulator) and turned up graphic resolution to a ridiculous 10240x5760 which was actually running just fine, no stutters or anything. After about 20 min or so, near the end of a level, the computer just restarted.

Went into Event viewer and noticed the same thing I mostly find when the computer has been restarted while asleep, Kernel Power 41. The other thing I find sometimes is a bluescreen which seems to be related to ntoskrnl.exe but I've reinstalled Windows 10 and graphic drivers with DDU multiple times. Kernel power 41 or ntoskrnl.exe always seem to be the cause.

Started to play a bit more just to test and this time it nearly restarted instantly, maybe 1 minute into the game. I turned the resolution down from 10240x5760 to standard 4k then proceeded to play for about an hour without any issue.

I've been trying to narrow down my issue and figure out what the real problem is but nobody has been able to really make sense of any of this. I'm wondering if today's event would help and if anybody could figure out if I should just replace my power supply or what may be causing this.

Some other small notes would be that I've ran multiple successful RAM tests, over 12 hours, can run new games @ 4k for a while with no issues, had this issue over different graphic cards + maybe 1-2 years, and think it may be related to CUE/Corsair K63 wireless keyboard/dongle maybe drawing too much power from USB ports.

7700k @ 4.8ghz
RTX 2080ti
16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
Corsair RM750i PSU

Solution
Capacity is important depending on both needs and future growth. But in general, I'll choose a quality PSU with at least 1/3rd headroom in capacity than what my system's theoretical draw would be based on specs alone. Meaning, going overkill on cheap high capacity PSU doesn't serve you in the long run. But don't get one where you'll be pushing it to the limit either.

stdragon

Admirable
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Killmeplsnow : "Possible PSU problem?"

Remove the RTX 2080ti card and just run with the Intel video. There's been a known bad rash of 2080 cards these days, so it's possibly that. And yes, could also be the PSU under high current load that a 2080 would put on it.

stdragon

Admirable
If the PSU is several years old, see about replacing it. There might be a return policy in the event it didn't solve your issue, you'll have to read the details of such policies. Or, borrow one from a friend if you can.

Killmeplsnow

Commendable
May 9, 2017

Sounds good thank you. I found a 750w SuperNova P2 for $100 but would rather get the 1000W G3 version for $123 just to make sure power problems won't be an issue any more. Especially in this case where it seems like lower resolution seems to be perfectly fine, but higher resolution may be pulling more power than can be supplied? Which one would you suggest?

stdragon

Admirable
Capacity is important depending on both needs and future growth. But in general, I'll choose a quality PSU with at least 1/3rd headroom in capacity than what my system's theoretical draw would be based on specs alone. Meaning, going overkill on cheap high capacity PSU doesn't serve you in the long run. But don't get one where you'll be pushing it to the limit either.

Solution