Question Possible PSU problem?

Jul 6, 2019
I have this problem where my pc just shuts down but the lights and fans keep on running, this happens when im gaming and my gpu hits around 75c, i know 75c isnt hot for an rx 570 so thats why im confused, I tried using superposition to test if it does shutdown at 75 flat but it reaches 84 before shutting down only when the benchmark finishes and exits fullscreen. So is this a psu problem?

Cpu: i5 2500
Gpu: sapphire nitro+ rx 570 4gb
Ram: kingston 4x2gb 1600
Psu: Superflower sf-500p

Notes that might help:

*Ive tried lowering the powerlimit of my card to 80w but it still shuts down when exiting fullscreen or reaching around 75c

*i have my fan curvesmaxed out

*i replaced the thermal compound of the cou and gpu with new one

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
PC just shuts down but the lights and fans keep on running, eh?

Fascinating... It doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me.

First thing first, your GPU is fine. Don't worry about it. 75W is nothing for GPUs. What about your CPU? Have you checked its thermals? If not, you should do so immediately.

But assuming your CPU is fine, that only leaves us with... RAM! So I'd strongly suggest you to run some memory tests and see how it goes.

If everything remains stable and the RAM doesn't register any errors then the problem must be software related. Well, either that or a faulty mobo could be the culprit! And we can't complete rule out the PSU either.

A bad driver can cause such problems as well. So revert back to previous driver(s), especially if you've updated them recently and see if it works.

If nothing and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING works then check your PSU's voltages and/or get your mobo tested / replaced.

Hope it helps!

Jul 6, 2019
PC just shuts down but the lights and fans keep on running, eh?

Fascinating... It doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me.

First thing first, your GPU is fine. Don't worry about it. 75W is nothing for GPUs. What about your CPU? Have you checked its thermals? If not, you should do so immediately.

But assuming your CPU is fine, that only leaves us with... RAM! So I'd strongly suggest you to run some memory tests and see how it goes.

If everything remains stable and the RAM doesn't register any errors then the problem must be software related. Well, either that or a faulty mobo could be the culprit! And we can't complete rule out the PSU either.

A bad driver can cause such problems as well. So revert back to previous driver(s), especially if you've updated them recently and see if it works.

If nothing and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING works then check your PSU's voltages and/or get your mobo tested / replaced.

Hope it helps!

Well i remember seeing my cpu temps around 50-60ish,

Will try to do memtests and update you when done. Thanks!

overRev26

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
I have this problem where my pc just shuts down but the lights and fans keep on running, this happens when im gaming and my gpu hits around 75c, i know 75c isnt hot for an rx 570 so thats why im confused, I tried using superposition to test if it does shutdown at 75 flat but it reaches 84 before shutting down only when the benchmark finishes and exits fullscreen. So is this a psu problem?

Cpu: i5 2500
Gpu: sapphire nitro+ rx 570 4gb
Ram: kingston 4x2gb 1600
Psu: Superflower sf-500p

Notes that might help:

*Ive tried lowering the powerlimit of my card to 80w but it still shuts down when exiting fullscreen or reaching around 75c

*i have my fan curvesmaxed out

*i replaced the thermal compound of the cou and gpu with new one
Are you sure that the pc shuts down or just the display shows nothing?

Jul 6, 2019
The pc shuts down and a loud buzzing sound will emit from my speakers, like how it does when u bsod, but it doesnt actually bsod it just black screens
The pc shuts down and a loud buzzing sound will emit from my speakers, like how it does when u bsod, but it doesnt actually bsod it just black screens

Lso one interestong note is that while gaming,, i can trigger the pc crash by just alt tabbing