Question Possible psu problem?

dtrisbyjr

Prominent
Sep 16, 2018
Hey hows it going i'm hoping you guys can help me with this.

Alright so this is issue has been going on for about a month and a half. I had a 5700 xt running 3 monitors and would get constant black screens, where my monitors would shut off and pc would still be running. after doing research it seemed like a AMD problem with the cards drivers.

I tried up grading the firmware and that made it worse, I downgraded it to like the 19.8.1 i believe and it happen less frequently but then it had other issues with just freezing period. So i got feed up with it and was still in my 30 day return period with micro center so i took it back and got a evga rtx 2070 super. Overall it worked 100% better frame rate got higher.

Then all of a sudden black screen again it seem to happen a lot when i'd have multi programs open (i.e. COD:MW, OBS, Chrome, Spotify) . I've went through multiple things with uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. fresh install of my os and no dice, til i just unplugged 2 of the 3 monitors and i haven't got a black screen . I'm wondering if my power supply cant handle it?

Here's what i have

Ryzen 7 2700
MSI b450 tomahawk motherboard
32gb of ram 3000mhz
EVGA RTX 2070 Super
650 corsair CX-M Series 650W
Monitors are Acer (one is 144hz and the other 2 75hz)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Firmware is one thing, drivers are another. What you've explained is changing the drivers on your system. How do you have 36GB's of ram populating your motherboard? Mind sharing a link to the sticks of ram? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Is the unit you're working with, the Grey labelled CX650? Did you use DDU to remove your AMD drivers prior to dropping in the RTX GPU?

I second the ram, it is a strange config, I take it you are running mixed ramsets?
If it was psu related, your pc should have power outages

So Ram is n1 suspect here, if possible try running a single ramset*,
so that everything is within the same spec and see where that leads you

*that means same brand, CL, and mhz

...and preferably bought as a complete kit, if more than one stick of RAM.

Two similar sticks of RAM, same brand, same model, same specs, might still cause problems, if bought seperately. It might work, and it might not, but there's certainly a greater risk of the RAM not working, if they aren't bought as a matched kit.

Reactions: Quanticriver

dtrisbyjr

Prominent
Sep 16, 2018
I second the ram, it is a strange config, I take it you are running mixed ramsets?
If it was psu related, your pc should have power outages

So Ram is n1 suspect here, if possible try running a single ramset*,
so that everything is within the same spec and see where that leads you

that was a typo it’s 32gb all the same ram.

dtrisbyjr

Prominent
Sep 16, 2018
Firmware is one thing, drivers are another. What you've explained is changing the drivers on your system. How do you have 36GB's of ram populating your motherboard? Mind sharing a link to the sticks of ram? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Is the unit you're working with, the Grey labelled CX650? Did you use DDU to remove your AMD drivers prior to dropping in the RTX GPU?

it was a typo it’s 32gb of ram. I’ve updated the bios to the current firmware. I did use ddu before I put the rtx in, and yes it’s the grey label PSU

Last edited: