Possible Push/Pull Fan Configuration

dforrest

Honorable
Jan 31, 2018
I have a Deepcool Captain 240 CPU water cooler on my system with the radiator installed at the front of the case. I have installed two “Phanteks 120mm, PWM, High Static Pressure Radiator Retail Cooling Fan PH-F120MP_BK_PWM ” fans on the inside of this pulling air through the radiator into the case. These are the only inlet fans installed.

Currently I have no cooling problems but with summer approaching this may change (I live in the Caribbean and the system is used in a house which is not air-conditioned). Would there be any advantage in me installing two standard 120mm fans on the outside of the radiator pushing air through this and into the case?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Try moving the radiator to the top and push the air out of the case. Then your intake fans will have less restrictions and should help air flow. Since the fans on top of the radiator will be pushing air through the rad, it should slow the exhausts and may level out your intake vs. outtake.
I run a push/pull configuration on my rig and there is really no noticeable difference, especially pushing high overclocks. I would not modify the case just to run push pull, but if you have room in the case to put the other 120mm on the other side of the rad, than go for it. Just don't expect 10+ degree differences. It will be closer to 1-2 degree difference.

dforrest

Honorable
Jan 31, 2018
Thanks again. I have just done a test with incense sticks and it appears that I do not have a positive pressure in the case. Air is flowing out through vents at quite a high rate.

My system had the following fans:

two 120 mm radiator cooling fans at the front which are also the only inlet fans (these are currently "pull" but could be changed to "push/pull" with two more fans..

one 140 mm extract fan at the rear.

two 120 mm extract fans at the top.

It seems to me that I either need more inlet fans or less extract fans. There is no more space in the case for more fans to be added other than the two I referred to above.

Any suggestions?

Try moving the radiator to the top and push the air out of the case. Then your intake fans will have less restrictions and should help air flow. Since the fans on top of the radiator will be pushing air through the rad, it should slow the exhausts and may level out your intake vs. outtake.

Solution

dforrest

Honorable
Jan 31, 2018
Not so good after time has passed! I am beginning the think thae more inlet fans and less or no extract fans are better. Modern cases have many grills just for exhaust by the case's positive pressure.