Question Possible ram combination

Nidhalof

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
i have an msi z270 sli plus motherboard and currently i have 2 ram stucks same model 1x 16gb and 1x 8 gb 2400 mhz frequency ... i would like to add another 8gb to have 32 gb in total is that possible ??? my motherboard has 4 dimm slots and it's supporting up to 64 gb i wanan use 3 slots for the moment is that possible ?

i have an msi z270 sli plus motherboard and currently i have 2 ram stucks same model 1x 16gb and 1x 8 gb 2400 mhz frequency ... i would like to add another 8gb to have 32 gb in total is that possible ??? my motherboard has 4 dimm slots and it's supporting up to 64 gb i wanan use 3 slots for the moment is that possible ?
If you want 32GB of ram, get another matching 1x16GB module and keep the 1x8GB as backup or sell it. Running 3 modules will force the system to run single channel mode which is much slower than dual channel mode with 2 or 4 slots filled.

Nidhalof

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
If you want 32GB of ram, get another matching 1x16GB module and keep the 1x8GB as backup or sell it. Running 3 modules will force the system to run single channel mode which is much slower than dual channel mode with 2 or 4 slots filled.
in this case can i use 2x16 + 2x8 to fill the 4 slots and get advantage of dual channel performance ??

in this case can i use 2x16 + 2x8 to fill the 4 slots and get advantage of dual channel performance ??
Yes, as long as the modules have similar specifications and you put them in the correct slots. So you would put the 16GB modules in slots A2/B2 and the 8GB in A1/B1. The slots are usually different colors indicating either the channels (A/B) or more commonly, the slot number of a channel like maybe blue for A1/B1 and white for A2/B2. You will need to find your motherboard model number on the board itself below the CPU socket or near the slots and then find the manual to look up the correct or recommended memory configuration.

Reactions: Nidhalof

Nidhalof

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
Yes, as long as the modules have similar specifications and you put them in the correct slots. So you would put the 16GB modules in slots A2/B2 and the 8GB in A1/B1. The slots are usually different colors indicating either the channels (A/B) or more commonly, the slot number of a channel like maybe blue for A1/B1 and white for A2/B2. You will need to find your motherboard model number on the board itself below the CPU socket or near the slots and then find the manual to look up the correct or recommended memory configuration.
Thank you that helps a lot, i will start with 2 x 16