Question Possible repairs for a gifted TV ?

jacobgrantphd

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Hello everyone, I was gifted a Toshiba 46xv640u from a neighbor who claimed it started having issues after a lightning strike and I'm looking to fix it. The issue is that there is no display or audio when using HDMI ports. The Tv powers on fine, and can navigate the settings menus, and can even function when hooked up to RCA input, albeit only audio unless svideo input is used. I haven't tested the VGA ports yet. I took the back panel off and there is no visible damage to the control board and there are no loose connections. I don't have a multimeter to check everything so any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could be that the port(s) itself are toast. However, in today's consumer world, it is far cheaper to buy a new device, than trying to repair broken one. Not to mention the time and effort spent on searching for spare parts. Also, know-how of soldering, since almost all components are soldered to PCB.

So, unless you know how to solder and have a good source for spare parts, i wouldn't look into repairing it. Better spend your time elsewhere (unless this is your hobby).

Since a lightning is involved it's probably one of the controller chips that handles these inputs or maybe a voltage regulator that supplies them with power, if it has several controllers you can look them up and see what they control so you can figure out if they could be the culprit.
As said above replacing these chips, or anything else, is tough without specialized equipment.
It is very much worth it though if you can fix a good TV for a couple of bucks.

USAFRet

Titan
12 year old busted TV -> Your local recycle center.

Unless you're already a TV repair person with the requisite tools and skills, any "fix" would cost far more than this is worth, and more than a new one of the same size.

The Toshiba 46xv640u OP was gifted, isn't worth the fix,
specs: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Toshiba-46XV640U.htm

46", 120Hz, 1080p TV, that is EOL and was last seen sold back in 2010. It isn't even good as a PC monitor since the 46" and 1080p will make you see individual pixels.
How is that not worth the fix if it's a cheap easy fix?!
That's better than my current main TV, mine doesn't have 120Hz.
If it's a difficult fix and you have no idea what you are doing then yes it's not worth it learning how to repair TVs just to fix one.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
How is that not worth the fix if it's a cheap easy fix?!

At current date, almost none of the fixes are "cheap and easy". Long past are the good old days, when you could've repaired your stuff easily with little effort, be it consumer electronics or even cars.

That's better than my current main TV, mine doesn't have 120Hz.

120 Hz on TVs is only viable when you actually have content that matches the refresh rate. TV stations broadcast their content at 30 Hz or 60 Hz. While movies are 24 Hz.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you know what you are looking for and how to repair, it could totally be worthwhile.

I was gifted a 27" 720p Samsung TV some years ago that wouldn't turn on after a lightning strike. Turned out to be a burned resistor which was all of pennies. I was using it continuously up until a couple of years ago when I sold it along with a PC that was attached to the back via VESA mount.

Ralston18

Titan
Good when you can find a problem and fix it. Very much in favor of DIY, repurposing etc. as much as possible.

However, set a limit (time, effort, cost) on how far you are willing to go down that route....

Who knows what all else was damaged by the lightning strike (or whatever happened) and could be pending gradual or sudden failure.

Fix one component only to have another component go poof.