[SOLVED] Possible short circuit / power surge damage?

Sep 11, 2020
Hi everybody I'm hoping to be able to get some help with my system. The other day I had some problems with it and I'm finding it difficult to diagnose. I (stupidly I know) moved the computer while it was turned on without unplugging anything, which lead to the HDMI port bending inside the port. I was able to get it out and it wasn't actually stuck in and didn't seem really that big of a problem. It was just slightly bent. I plugged it back in and it was still working and everything. Then I'm not sure what happened but my surge protected extension stopped working, along with the computer.

My specs are:
i5-5500k
16gb ram
H170 M3 Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 1070 8gb
AeroCool 750w PSU

I've stripped it bare down to the bones. SSD and other hard disks unplugged, no GPU, no Cpu, no RAM.
It turns on no matter what, I'm just struggling to get any feed on the monitors. The hdmi that almost broke the cable was the graphics cards which isn't the one I'm using right now I'm just testing the motherboard and the psu. I was told it wouldn't boot into bios without the cpu so I put that it and now it's just the psu motherboard and cpu.

The motherboard lights come on, the fans come on, but I can't get to no bios and I can't get any visual output to the monitors.
Have I

**** [Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly Forum.]

the power supply? Could it possibly be a motherboard issue? I'm really lost on how to proceed.

Ive bought a new psu, cpu and motherboard that won't get here until next week. How can I ensure when installing these that I won't fry them with static discharge? I saw a spark on my motherboard earlier when trying to troubleshoot that makes me think I did somethimg wrong. It happened when I plugged in one of the peripherals

I also got a blue light flashing 3 times on the mobo earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Which/what HDMI port?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

If not, go to MSI's website and download the User Guide/Manual.

Use the Guide to doublecheck all component installations and cables.

Also look up the flashing blue light and determine what the light indicates.

My thought is that that the HDMI port is physically damaged and causing a short circuit.

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to look for signs of damage, metal to metal contact, broken solder joints, scratched traces etc..

Ralston18

Titan
Which/what HDMI port?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

If not, go to MSI's website and download the User Guide/Manual.

Use the Guide to doublecheck all component installations and cables.

Also look up the flashing blue light and determine what the light indicates.

My thought is that that the HDMI port is physically damaged and causing a short circuit.

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to look for signs of damage, metal to metal contact, broken solder joints, scratched traces etc..

Solution