[SOLVED] Possible short circuit

• Thread starter Deleted member 2821647
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2821647

I built a New PC today. I had little to no experience so i had few mistakes. First of system specs: i5 11400 Asus B560 Prime Plus Atx Gt 1030. First mistake i powered the system one time with only 24 pin cables plugged. System started and front fans didn't work no display on the monitor. After that i plugged 6+2 to 8 pin and when i started power came and went away in a sec but no burnt smell or anything like that. Then i powered without 24 pin with 6+2 2-3 times nothing happened no power. and then i realized that 6+2 is not for cpu so i installed 4+4 so everything worked until bios where bios saw hdd i plugged but said no bootable devices found. Did a short happen? If it happened how can I assess the damage? And is it possible that those actions didn't do any damage? How can I boot the hdd? Edit: Psu has ovp protection idk if that means anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You can't boot a HDD until you have installed windows on it.
Download windows to a usb stick and boot from that stick to install windows.

If you want to check the basic functionality,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram and pc should be ok.

I might add that any new build should include a ssd for windows.

Ralston18

Titan
Mistakes do happen. However, there is quite a bit that you can do to avoid further mistakes.

Temporarily stop doing anything. You need to pause and consider a bit of a "do-over".

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

And manuals for other components: CPU, GPU, PSU, etc.?

What you need to do is to go back, re-read all of the manuals, and double-check everything per the User Guides/Manuals. First to verify that the current connections are correct and to look for any warnings with regard to any mis-connections that you may have made.

(Hopefully not but if there is some warning that doing X could cause damage and you did do X then damage may have occurred. Difficult to know.)

The manuals will likely refer you to the applicable manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information and additional warnings. Read Forums and FAQ's to learn about problems that other people may be posting about.

Verify that any correct connections are fully and firmly in place. No one wants to force a connection on a new build so sometimes a connection may seem to be in place when it is not. You may need to carefully unplug and re-plug a few times to get a smooth and proper fit.

Do not mix and match old cables - especially for PSUs.

Be careful about other adapters, cable extenders etc.. Many are of low quality and could be problematic.

My recommendation is to take all apart except for the CPU. (Removing the CPU would be a last resort effort.)

Then again proceed with the build going step by step following the manuals. If something is unclear then stop and do not proceed until any given issue is resolved.

If supported try to get your build running via the integrated graphics and just the boot drive. Establish network and internet connectivity.

Once Windows is installed and has had some time to update itself, then you can go on to installing the GPU, other drives, etc..

Take your time doing all of the above, make notes, sketch things out, check off installation steps in the User Guides/Manuals, and otherwise document what you do as you go along.

You should not need to force fit anything, cut wires, drill holes, or make other such physical changes. If a connector or component does not fit or match then something is wrong.

Do not get in a hurry, get tired, hungry. Take breaks.

D

Deleted member 2821647

Yeah everything seems fine now except boot thank you for advices everything is in place now. any answers about my last questions?

Ralston18

Titan
Did a short happen?

Perhaps. However, it may not have been strong enough to cause real or permanent damage. Or some safety measure prevented damage.

If it happened how can I assess the damage?

By sight, sound, and smell. You can use a bright flashlight to look for signs of physical damage: brown or black areas, melted wire insulation, swollen components on the motherboard and other circuit boards.

Do not open up the PSU. If the PSU isd unplugged you can "peak" through the holes and sniff about for burning smells.

Unfortunately some damage may not be visible. And the next short circuit or some electrical issue will be fatal to the component.

And is it possible that those actions didn't do any damage?

Yes. More of a matter of good luck perhaps. On the other hand if there was some protection involved that protection may have been destroyed while "saving" the computer. The next short may not be stopped.

How can I boot the hdd?

Now that the computer is up and running you should be able to install the HDD as normal be it the boot drive or a second data drive.

dit: Psu has ovp protection idk if that means anything

Yes ovp (over voltage protection) means something. And ovp can certainly help protect a PSU and the components being served by the PSU.

However, there is likely a limit: both in voltage level and the number of "hits" the protection can survive.

Here is a link that explains ovp and you can easily find other similar links as you wish.

https://components101.com/articles/designing-an-overvoltage-protection-circuit-using-zener-diodes

The link is technical overall but the text provides enough information to get a sense of ovp.

Google and read about surge protection and Joules as well.

D

Deleted member 2821647

Did a short happen?

Perhaps. However, it may not have been strong enough to cause real or permanent damage. Or some safety measure prevented damage.

If it happened how can I assess the damage?

By sight, sound, and smell. You can use a bright flashlight to look for signs of physical damage: brown or black areas, melted wire insulation, swollen components on the motherboard and other circuit boards.

Do not open up the PSU. If the PSU isd unplugged you can "peak" through the holes and sniff about for burning smells.

Unfortunately some damage may not be visible. And the next short circuit or some electrical issue will be fatal to the component.

And is it possible that those actions didn't do any damage?

Yes. More of a matter of good luck perhaps. On the other hand if there was some protection involved that protection may have been destroyed while "saving" the computer. The next short may not be stopped.

How can I boot the hdd?

Now that the computer is up and running you should be able to install the HDD as normal be it the boot drive or a second data drive.

dit: Psu has ovp protection idk if that means anything

Yes ovp (over voltage protection) means something. And ovp can certainly help protect a PSU and the components being served by the PSU.

However, there is likely a limit: both in voltage level and the number of "hits" the protection can survive.

Here is a link that explains ovp and you can easily find other similar links as you wish.

https://components101.com/articles/designing-an-overvoltage-protection-circuit-using-zener-diodes

The link is technical overall but the text provides enough information to get a sense of ovp.

Google and read about surge protection and Joules as well.
Thank you for your answer. I wasnt expecting that much of a detailed explanation. I really liked this forum really helpful stuff. I set up everything and computer working just fine.

You can't boot a HDD until you have installed windows on it.
Download windows to a usb stick and boot from that stick to install windows.

If you want to check the basic functionality,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram and pc should be ok.

I might add that any new build should include a ssd for windows.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS