Possible Sleeping Virus

Luis

My computer has a 3 drive partition; C, D, and E. My operating system runs
out of the C drive which is 4.5 GB, D drive is 11.7 GB, and E drive is 11.7
GB.
Over the last few months I have lost space on my C drive without changing
anything. I started deleting programs to make more space, but this is not
helping either. All of my files and programs are running from the other 2
partitions which are not being affected in any way.
A friend suggested something about a Sleeping Virus. Have no idea what this
is and I'm looking for some answers. How can I fix this problem without
re-formatting my drive?

"Luis" <Luis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer has a 3 drive partition; C, D, and E. My operating system
> runs
> out of the C drive which is 4.5 GB, D drive is 11.7 GB, and E drive is
> 11.7
> GB.
> Over the last few months I have lost space on my C drive without
> changing
> anything. I started deleting programs to make more space, but this is
> not
> helping either. All of my files and programs are running from the
> other 2
> partitions which are not being affected in any way.
> A friend suggested something about a Sleeping Virus. Have no idea
> what this
> is and I'm looking for some answers. How can I fix this problem
> without
> re-formatting my drive?

More likely System Restore has accumulated a substantial number of
restore points. If the computer is otherwise running well, you can from
the System control panel, System Restore tab, check turn off system
restore on all drives. Reboot, and then uncheck turn off system
restore. You will recover the used HD space. Also, run disk cleanup
from All Programs/Accessories/System Tools to clean out temporary and
temp internet files.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:14:18 -0500, "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com>
wrote:
This google toolbar has just been identified as having a bigger hole than
anything M$ ever made for allowing people access to your machine, passwords
etc..
And IIRC they aren't doing anything about it because the toolbar does exactly
what it was designed for, scour your hard drive and index it. Trouble is anyone
can use what it finds. ie: You work for company xxxx, 7 people have the google
bar installed, you have access to 7 peoples passwords and anything the toolbar
indexed.

> The Google Toolbar (Free!)
> http://toolbar.google.com/
>
>Yeah - it adds a bar to your Internet Explorer - but its a useful one. You
>can search from there anytime with one of the best search engines on the
>planet (IMO.) And the fact it stops most popups - wow - BONUS! If you
>don't like that suggestion, then I am just going to say you go to
>www.google.com and search for other options. Please notice that Windows XP
>SP2 does help stop popups as well. Another option is to use an alternative
>Web browser. I suggest "Mozilla Firefox", as it has some great features
>and is very easy to use:

IIRC spambayes came out after POPFILE [also FREE] and it's avail from
sourceforge also. I'm getting above 95% accuracy on filtering spam.
And the few it does call spam that aren't is any bodies guess what they are.

> SpamBayes (Free!)
> http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

http://grc.com/intro.htm
you might add this link as a link using [Shields Up] to check out the security
of your machine. Surprising to me XP pro actually came thru true stealth out of
the box. But you can follow the M$ security instructions and actually open
yourself up to attack.
takes maybe 15 minutes from hitting the site to satisfaction that your machine
is invisible to hackers online.

Husky wrote:
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> This google toolbar has just been identified as having a bigger hole
> than anything M$ ever made for allowing people access to your
> machine, passwords etc..
> And IIRC they aren't doing anything about it because the toolbar does
> exactly what it was designed for, scour your hard drive and index it.
> Trouble is anyone can use what it finds. ie: You work for company
> xxxx, 7 people have the google bar installed, you have access to 7
> peoples passwords and anything the toolbar indexed.

You are talking about the Google Desktop...

--
<- Shenan ->