Question Possible static (?) from a metallic PC case causes speakers to cut out audio for 1-2" , about three times per day.

dusk_fall1989

Prominent
Jan 26, 2021
Ever since I bought speakers for my 2016-built PC, I've had the following issue:
About 1-3 times per day, the audio will cut out from the edifier speakers, for about 1", then come back to normal.
I have a feeling this is due to the metallic case I'm using, which is a silverstone FT-03 mini.
From the beginning, this computer detected a change in the audio input and it would switch to something else, even when I just had headphones on.
I managed to skip this glitch by disabling the automatic input change from the software.

However, that was when I was using headphones. Now I'm using actual speakers, and somewhere between the audio cable, the metallic PC case, and the motherboard's audio input, something gets funked up.
I have a hunch this is probably something related to the metallic case. It looks good but never again. But I'm open to any ideas you guys and girls may have.
I don't think the audio driver is of any importance, it's some generic intel chip but if you insist I can look it up. All of the PC components are fully updated. Windows 10 is the OS.
May you walk on warm sands.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes they work fine with optical output of my PS3. That's why I don't think it's the speakers, they are also fairly new (not that new items can't be faulty)

Yes the fact that they work with other output indicates they're OK.

One thing you can do (which is not a permanent solution) is if you can ground the body of the case/chasis with a piece of wire to a nearby unpainted metallic object (window frame, radiator piping etc.) for a few hours and see if that stops the cuts, if indeed they're caused by static or current leaking to the body of the case.

dusk_fall1989

Prominent
Jan 26, 2021
I'm putting an extra audio cable to use! I just put one end on the case and the other on the floor, with another tool to keep it down. Let's see if anything happens. Don't buy metal cases people, lol!
EDIT: ROFL! That actually made the issue worse! I was moving the cable and my computer blue screened XDDDDD
Well I guess at least that proves I was right

Last edited: