[SOLVED] Possible to adapt a 775 heatsink to a Ryzen?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
LGA775 heatsinks are pretty much worthless and many were very well made. I was wondering if anyone has tried to mount a LGA775 heatsink on to a Ryzen motherboard. I was able to mount the 775 on a 1155 with a bit of hole modification of the heatsink. Just took a few minutes. So I wondered if it can be done with a Ryzen motherboard? Note: I'm talking about modifying the heatsink mount, not the motherboard!

Solution
Exactly. It'd prolly be easier to search for an AM4 bracket online as close to exact match as possible to whatever cooler you plan on using. If it's a stock cooler, that'll be pushpin, but aftermarket coolers were pretty much versatile, came with both amd and Intel adapters, so might be easier to adapt an already rectangular am3 bracket than the square Intel. If it's aftermarket, there might already be an AM4 bracket available, only stock coolers were specifically lga775 fitment.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. If the heatsink itself is just a heatsink, and has a seperate bracket, sure you could use it. If it's a one piece, then no, since Intel pinholes for lga775/1366 and lga115x have not changed, they are still the same square, but amd are considerably different dimensions being rectangular.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Yes and no. If the heatsink itself is just a heatsink, and has a seperate bracket, sure you could use it. If it's a one piece, then no, since Intel pinholes for lga775/1366 and lga115x have not changed, they are still the same square, but amd are considerably different dimensions being rectangular.

Just found out the AM4 spacing is 90/54. Wow...that's going to quite the project adapting that!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly. It'd prolly be easier to search for an AM4 bracket online as close to exact match as possible to whatever cooler you plan on using. If it's a stock cooler, that'll be pushpin, but aftermarket coolers were pretty much versatile, came with both amd and Intel adapters, so might be easier to adapt an already rectangular am3 bracket than the square Intel. If it's aftermarket, there might already be an AM4 bracket available, only stock coolers were specifically lga775 fitment.

Solution