Possible to add internal ssd to Acer ATC-710?

ssinai

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
This is what I have - Acer ATC-710 Core i7-6700 Skylake 6th Gen Windows 10 16GB 2TB 802.11AC DVDRW

I'd like to install a new ssd in addition to the current hdd, and then use the ssd as my main drive. I'm not a hardware whiz and I've never installed an ssd before, so I'm watching youtube videos to see how it's done. It looks like I need a spare SATA port on the motherboard, but I only see two and they're both being used. One is connected to the existing hard drive, and the other is connected to the DVD.

Is that a show-stopper, or is there a way around this? Thanks.

Solution
Hey there, ssinai.

From what I was able to see from that computer's specs, it seems like it really has a single drive connected to it and 1 SATA port for HDD/SSDs. It also says that its max capacity is 2TB. So I'd recommend that you check the computer's User Manual for more info on storage upgrades, or even better - get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support. I'd also ask about the maximum storage capacity you can use along with the SSD you are going to get.

Basically you should be able to connect the SSD with the optical drive's cables and port, but you won't have an OD anymore.

As for migrating your OS from an HDD to an SSD, you can check out this tutorial...
Hey there, ssinai.

From what I was able to see from that computer's specs, it seems like it really has a single drive connected to it and 1 SATA port for HDD/SSDs. It also says that its max capacity is 2TB. So I'd recommend that you check the computer's User Manual for more info on storage upgrades, or even better - get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support. I'd also ask about the maximum storage capacity you can use along with the SSD you are going to get.

Basically you should be able to connect the SSD with the optical drive's cables and port, but you won't have an OD anymore.

As for migrating your OS from an HDD to an SSD, you can check out this tutorial: http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Solution