possible to buy a 3.5 in SSD?

TitusRaven

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Ive seen some for laptops and have been looking all over, but i cant find a single 3.5 internal SSD for a desktop! well... i have found 1 or 2, but a TB was over 1000 dollars! I guess it'll be fine to settle for a Laptop SSD; they both have the same ports and i've found some TB ones for 800 dollars cheaper, but it would be nice to have one that fits the slot...

do they exist? and do they exist as cheap as their 2.5 in counterparts? if not, why?

Solution
For desktops, you have to use the 2.5" drives. Usually for newer cases there are slots for where SSDs can go, otherwise for $2-4 you can buy brackets to make the SSD fit a normal 3.5" bay.

smackers_12

Honorable
They exist but really only for larger scale commercial operations. 2.5 inch units are not laptop ssds, they are for everything and most cases support them these days. You just dont need a 3.5 inch ssd for a consumer application you can fit it fine in a 2.5 inch drive. I wouldn't be getting a 1 tb ssd unless you are doing some very specific tasks, you are better off with an ssd and a hard drive

Warukyure

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
For desktops, you have to use the 2.5" drives. Usually for newer cases there are slots for where SSDs can go, otherwise for $2-4 you can buy brackets to make the SSD fit a normal 3.5" bay.

Solution
there was a move some time ago for 3.5" SSDs to bring the cost down, it didn't work, an SSD is only typically about 1/5th the size of the case, the ones you are seeing are old stock. There was also a drive towards 5 1/4" HDD's notably the bigfoot, for cost and speed reasons, they also failed to catch on.

The standard for both desktop computers and laptop computers is the 2.5 inch SATA 3, 6Gb/s solid state drive. The 2.5 inch ssd's work equally well with both laptop and desktop pc's.

A 3.5 inch ssd is not a standard format for a consumer ssd. The 3.5 inch ssd's are almost always for very large business enterprise configurations and they are very expensive compared to consumer ssd's.

Do not be concerned if your desktop computer case does not have a 2.5 inch drive bay. You can purchase either a 5.25 inch to 2.5 inch drive bay adapter or a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch drive bay adapter for a few dollars. It is not necessary to purchase the most expensive drive bay adapter. A simple one for a few dollars will work quite well. I have been using drive bay adapters for several years without experiencing any problems.

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
The other nice thing about SSDs, is you really don't even need a bay to put it in since they aren't prone to issues with vibrations. I have seen people stick velcro on the back of one and the back of their case where the wires are and attach it there, or just let it sit on the bottom of their case. They can go pretty much anywhere in any orientation and you won't have an issue.