Question Possible to completely reset laptop?

fatalpup

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hi,
I messed up my laptop by switching to a linux OS that i used for a while, but now i want to use windows again. I have tried using Rufus and Universal Usb Installer to try and boot off of the usb (64GB), it does not have a CD reader. The laptop doesnt read or recognize the usb, so i cant add it as an optional boot path. I tried this on different brands of USB, but all the same result, nothing, only boots to linux or BIOS.
The laptop is an Asus S510U, it doesnt appear to have a battery or anything i can remove on the motherboard.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There absolutely is a BIOS battery in there somewhere. You can try taking the main battery out and holding the power button down for a long period, sometimes that acts as a BIOS reset. Either way if there is a setting you changed to get Linux loaded, you should be able to undo it. Check for Legacy OS support and things like that.

Have you tried just using the Windows USB creation tool? Or do you not have access to a Windows machine to do it?

This might work if you don't, though I haven't tried it myself: https://itsfoss.com/bootable-windows-usb-linux/

fatalpup

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
There absolutely is a BIOS battery in there somewhere. You can try taking the main battery out and holding the power button down for a long period, sometimes that acts as a BIOS reset. Either way if there is a setting you changed to get Linux loaded, you should be able to undo it. Check for Legacy OS support and things like that.

Have you tried just using the Windows USB creation tool? Or do you not have access to a Windows machine to do it?

This might work if you don't, though I haven't tried it myself: https://itsfoss.com/bootable-windows-usb-linux/
I'll try these and let you know if it works, thanks

There should be a hidden recovery partition on the HDD.
  • Power on or reboot your Asus device.
  • Press F9 while the computer is booting up. ...
  • Select Recover Windows to entire HD and press Enter.
  • Press Y three times when asked if you are sure that you want to reset your computer.
  • Approve the license agreement, then select your Language preference and click Next.

fatalpup

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
There should be a hidden recovery partition on the HDD.
  • Power on or reboot your Asus device.
  • Press F9 while the computer is booting up. ...
  • Select Recover Windows to entire HD and press Enter.
  • Press Y three times when asked if you are sure that you want to reset your computer.
  • Approve the license agreement, then select your Language preference and click Next.
No luck, just boots to login screen, i tried f1 - f12 when booting up, but only one of the mbrings me to a BIOS, no recovery.

Usually DEL or F2 gets you to the bios.
If you are going directly to windows, you probably have the fast boot option in the bios set.
You could try turning that off.

Another way is to hold down the shift key while you press the shut down or reset tab in windows.
That might let you enter del or F2.

Is there a factory reset button hidden somewhere?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Usually DEL or F2 gets you to the bios.
If you are going directly to windows, you probably have the fast boot option in the bios set.
You could try turning that off.

Another way is to hold down the shift key while you press the shut down or reset tab in windows.
That might let you enter del or F2.

Is there a factory reset button hidden somewhere?

System is running Linux, they are trying to install Windows again.

If I were installing Linux I probably would have blown away any hidden partitions in the process. You could search for partitions in Linux using fdisk, parted or install a partition manager.

D

Deleted member 14196

so... there is no way into the bios if you install linux? that is hard to believe. reset bios to defaults.

Also, Never use Rufus. format your ruckus usb and use Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool (click on Download Tool) to load a bootable image onto said usb drive to properly install windows to be assured it's 100% LEGAL and will work

If the computer is booting up into Linux, is it not possible to dual boot into Windows from Linux?
This will at least help you.
F2 or DEL to get into Bios
But I agree with what others have said here already about the BIOS

Maybe you should take some BIOS screen shots and someone maybe able to help you out.

fatalpup

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
If the computer is booting up into Linux, is it not possible to dual boot into Windows from Linux?

Maybe you should take some BIOS screen shots and someone maybe able to help you out.

Im actually trying to do this but i cant find out how, from linux to windows, all i ever see is someone doing it on a Windows OS

OS comes after BIOS - so there is nothing that stops you going into the BIOS. Only you are doing it wrong somehow...I don't know this computer so I cannot help. Maybe send a message to ASUS since they are the ones who made it and they should know. They are usually friendly.

fatalpup

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
OS comes after BIOS - so there is nothing that stops you going into the BIOS. Only you are doing it wrong somehow...I don't know this computer so I cannot help. Maybe send a message to ASUS since they are the ones who made it and they should know. They are usually friendly.
I can access BIOS but i havent seen anything that could help, only one boot option. No recovery or hard reset.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The BIOS wouldn't have a hard reset in it for anything beyond the BIOS, should be a reset to defaults somewhere. That would fix anything preventing a USB drive from being bootable.

You could also update the BIOS to clear any settings.

Often times there is a shortcut for boot options you can spam as the computer is starting.

When you say only one boot option do you mean in the list of options, or types? Older BIOS let you select Floppy, USB, or SATA as the first boot device. This one looks like you might have to add it manually. Are you still in EZ Mode, that would limit your BIOS options a lot. Going to advanced mode will be more like a traditional BIOS and you can set the boot priority there. Their screenshot shows an optical drive, so their screenshots may not be accurate to your exact system.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...16.284422963.1557174430-1893138918.1551824274

ASUS might ship you the original OEM installation, with all the funderful bloatware, but it would probably be on disc. Getting an external DVD drive isn't a terrible thing, I find them quite useful for work on others computers, or making copies of things that still come on disc for some reason. Never fails, I think I am done with them, then some manufacturer only makes their software available on disc. Had to copy something from Ford the other day.

From what I am seeing in your responses, I think you are under the assumption you can get in the Windows recovery partition without Windows. That probably isn't possible. If they did it the way I think they did, it will just be a system image/rollback point. Essentially flashing the original installation into the other partition. If that partition is gone, very likely with a Linux installation done properly, then you have no recourse but to install from scratch.

So you'll need the Windows ISO on a thumb drive. Get it to show as a boot device, and launch it. If you are lucky you can use the license the computer already has to activate. You might have to call in to Microsoft's activation center. Worst case, you have to buy a new license.

fatalpup

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
The BIOS wouldn't have a hard reset in it for anything beyond the BIOS, should be a reset to defaults somewhere. That would fix anything preventing a USB drive from being bootable.

You could also update the BIOS to clear any settings.

Often times there is a shortcut for boot options you can spam as the computer is starting.

When you say only one boot option do you mean in the list of options, or types? Older BIOS let you select Floppy, USB, or SATA as the first boot device. This one looks like you might have to add it manually. Are you still in EZ Mode, that would limit your BIOS options a lot. Going to advanced mode will be more like a traditional BIOS and you can set the boot priority there. Their screenshot shows an optical drive, so their screenshots may not be accurate to your exact system.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...16.284422963.1557174430-1893138918.1551824274

ASUS might ship you the original OEM installation, with all the funderful bloatware, but it would probably be on disc. Getting an external DVD drive isn't a terrible thing, I find them quite useful for work on others computers, or making copies of things that still come on disc for some reason. Never fails, I think I am done with them, then some manufacturer only makes their software available on disc. Had to copy something from Ford the other day.

From what I am seeing in your responses, I think you are under the assumption you can get in the Windows recovery partition without Windows. That probably isn't possible. If they did it the way I think they did, it will just be a system image/rollback point. Essentially flashing the original installation into the other partition. If that partition is gone, very likely with a Linux installation done properly, then you have no recourse but to install from scratch.

So you'll need the Windows ISO on a thumb drive. Get it to show as a boot device, and launch it. If you are lucky you can use the license the computer already has to activate. You might have to call in to Microsoft's activation center. Worst case, you have to buy a new license.
only one option like in the list. i would post pictures but i dont know how. at first it would recognize a usb for boot but now using different USBs and different programs for formatting the usbs, it does see them anymore, 2 different USBs and programs. And i tried taking out the battery, but that didnt do anything. And i believe i am beyond a recovery partition at this point, the whole disc is under linux because i was too lazy to partition it in the beginning.