[SOLVED] Possible to create a raid0 before or during windows setup?

mustaphab

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
I know you cannot use Disk management in windows 10 to combine TWO drives together if one of the drives has the OS already installed on it so I am wondering what I can do? I have two SSD drives and no hardware raid controller so I was hoping if it was possible in any way to create either a raid0 of the two drives BEFORE windows setup OR even after in windows itself.

It would have to be software raid of course as I dont have a hardware raid controller. Any suggestions?

Solution
File server pretty much.
For that use, not even.

RAID 0 was never meant to be for the OS drive.
Typically, you'd have a small drive for the OS, and then maybe the HDD's where the data is in a RAID 0.
And only if you had a lot of connections and users accessing it simultaneously.

For a file server, you're accessing it via the LAN? That will be the slow part of the chain.
The SSD's by themselves are significantly faster than what you can move across the LAN. RAID 0 does not make that any better.

Bottom line - Don't.

USAFRet

Titan
File server pretty much.
For that use, not even.

RAID 0 was never meant to be for the OS drive.
Typically, you'd have a small drive for the OS, and then maybe the HDD's where the data is in a RAID 0.
And only if you had a lot of connections and users accessing it simultaneously.

For a file server, you're accessing it via the LAN? That will be the slow part of the chain.
The SSD's by themselves are significantly faster than what you can move across the LAN. RAID 0 does not make that any better.

Bottom line - Don't.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Which motherboard do you have that doesn't have chipset raid?
If you want a raid boot drive then you require a raid controller.

As USAFRet mentioned. your Gigabit Lan can transfer files at best of about 120MB/s. I get about 109 for reference. Even a 5400rpm HDD can keep up...

Raid SSD's can typically read at over 1000MB/s. So you see your lan is the weak link here unless you want to spend big money upgrading everything to 10gb ethernet or fiber.

Also those drives (QVO) us Quad level cells, you might want to exchange them for the Normal Evo's which uses Triple level cells, esp if you are still intent on raiding them. I'll let you read up on quad level cell technology and their limitations.