Possible to drive a Garmin GPS from Flight Sim?

I've got a Garmin GPSmap96C. Anyone know if it's possible to drive the
unit's aircraft position when it's put into simulation mode from a PC
through either the USB or serial interfaces? Would be good to practice
using a proper device instead of an FS window. (Hey does that mean I've got
a home-made cockpit now??)

Si

Check out Peter Dowson's WideFS program. It's payware, might do what
you want -- check the docs first, which you can download free.

Or, if you have a second computer, try MyFSGoogle.

Both can be found immediately with a Google search.

Hi Simon

I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run MSFS
on
I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
notebook

See you, Jan
http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1126820856.1244@forums.simradar.com...
> Check out Peter Dowson's WideFS program. It's payware, might do what
> you want -- check the docs first, which you can download free.
>
> Or, if you have a second computer, try MyFSGoogle.
>
> Both can be found immediately with a Google search.

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, I'd like to say this about you home set up. WOW!
Nuff said.

"Jan Arkesteijn" <jan.arkesteijn@wxs.nl> wrote in message
> Hi Simon
>
> I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
> This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run
> MSFS on
> I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
> notebook
>
> See you, Jan
> http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html
>

> "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
> message news:1126820856.1244@forums.simradar.com...
>> Check out Peter Dowson's WideFS program. It's payware, might do what
>> you want -- check the docs first, which you can download free.
>>
>> Or, if you have a second computer, try MyFSGoogle.
>>
>> Both can be found immediately with a Google search.

"Jan Arkesteijn" <jan.arkesteijn@wxs.nl> wrote in message
> I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
> This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run
MSFS
> on
> I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
> notebook

Thanks, but that's not what I had in mind. I want to use my handheld GPS
with flightsim. Mapsource doesn't have the aviation maps built in that my
GPS does.

Cheers,

Si

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:32:40 +0100, Simon Robbins wrote:

> "Jan Arkesteijn" <jan.arkesteijn@wxs.nl> wrote in message
>> I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
>> This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run
> MSFS
>> on
>> I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
>> notebook
>
> Thanks, but that's not what I had in mind. I want to use my handheld GPS
> with flightsim. Mapsource doesn't have the aviation maps built in that my
> GPS does.

You're not seeing the tree for the forest here. The GPSOut utility will
enable ANY GPS to be connected to the FS computer's serial port... :)

Bill

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You're not seeing the tree for the forest here. The GPSOut utility will
> enable ANY GPS to be connected to the FS computer's serial port... :)

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure whether my Garmin accepts positional data in, or
only out.

Si

fishintheseacz

Hi I have gpsmap 96C too, and I would also like to connect it to MSFS, could you please send me an email, if you figered out how to do it? THX, my email is DTix@seznam.cz