Question Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
The machine is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Win10 1903.

The SSD is Samsung PM981 1TB.

I am in a situation where I might need to hot-plug the above SSD. I attempted to install Linux onto one of the SSDs, PCIe. It makes the system unbootable. I have Win10 on SSD #1 and also #3 (a clone of #1)
I created a multiboot system using bcdedit and also EasyBCD. That worked very well. Until Linux.

Linux was installed on #2. Not only does it make the system unbootable, my BCD entries disappear, I cannot boot into anything. When I go into BIOS, I see no SSDS of any kind and no way to add them. It's all blank.

there is something on that Linux SSD that deletes them and its own Grub bootloader takes over.

Is the Samsung PM981 resilient enough so that the power surge won't destroy it? I can boot if the Linux SSD is removed. Once booted, I wonder if I can insert that SSD and format it or use it as a clone.

IOr I need to find another computer that takes 2280 SSD and format it there as an alternative option but if hot-plugging it can work, that's a simple fix.

No problem I do that all the time although I have disks in removable trays. I just don't no if hot plugging is going to solve your problem.
If you install both OSs one at a time without other's present, under same conditions, you shouldn't have that problem. That's specially pronounced when you install Linux after Windows.

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
It seems like Grub is taking over window's bootloader and since Grub is not configured, it boots nothing.
Plus Debian doesn't run well on this MSI, the mouse freezes all the time.