Question Possible to hot swap sata drive (HDD) on ryzen boards?

ArttuJ

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hey,
I was wondering if it's possible to jot swap HDD's (Seagate barracuda or similair) on something like an MSI B450-M?

Or does it require a board madenfor it and drives made for it?

I am wondering if you are really talking about a "Hot" swap. I have an old Gateway FX6800-01 and it has a Hot Swap box built into the case in front. You Open the sliding door, pull out a tray, snap in the 3.5" HDD and then slide it in. the Power and data ports are already there and "HOT" and it just plugs in. There are two. I have not seen any other cases that will do that.

ArttuJ

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I am wondering if you are really talking about a "Hot" swap. I have an old Gateway FX6800-01 and it has a Hot Swap box built into the case in front. You Open the sliding door, pull out a tray, snap in the 3.5" HDD and then slide it in. the Power and data ports are already there and "HOT" and it just plugs in. There are two. I have not seen any other cases that will do that.
I'm considering building a special peoject where i would turn power on and off to hdd's while the PC is running, so that say in a single sata port, you could switch between two different drives by turning power on and off for specific hdd's, or instead of power, swotching between two sata lines in a single sata port.

But again, this would require hor swap ability. As in, while the pc is running, pulling out a sata connector from the mobo, and putting another one in. (Same as taking an HDD out and putting another in)

ArttuJ

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
There are any number of hotswap bays that fit into a front facing 5.25" drive space.
Can't use those, this is a very special completely unconventional build.
But back to the question at hand, I've read this aswell:
"Hot-plugging is part of the SATA spec, i.e. every device implementing SATA – including motherboards and HDDs – should support it. If it doesn't, it's broken (incomplete implementation of SATA or whatever)."
Wouldn't this mean that all motherboards support it, as long as the motherboard is blocking it through BIOS without possibility to enable it.

My MB supports hot-swap on all 6 SATA ports. They are connected to one 3 bay quick change (no trays) 3.5" and one 2 port 2.5" tray bays. 2.5" have 2 SSDs in them and two 3.5" ers have large HDDs and one is empty to plug in HDDs for backups as that works much faster than USB or network storage. 6th SATA port is connected to the case for eSATA disks.
Any of those disks that are not using as system disk at the time can be swapped and Windows and Linux recognize and mount it in few seconds.
That way it's different from usual external drives as they are treated just like internal drives, no need to Safely remove or un-mount.