Possible to use OEM disc to reinstall windows 7 on a different machine that already has a key?

troggs

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
I need to do a totally fresh install of Windows 7 on my old laptop to get it ready for some emergency travel, but all I have is the OEM disc I used on my desktop. The laptop came with a Windows 7 key on a sticker on the bottom, so can I just pop the OEM disc in and reinstall using the disc and laptop key, or because I've already used the OEM disc on my desktop do I need to get Windows 7 files from somewhere else? I have only a vague idea of what I'm doing and frankly wouldn't be screwing with it if it wasn't an emergency. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Does the laptop still have its original Recovery partition?

troggs

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017

Honestly I have no idea. I didn't even know such a thing existed. The only drive listed is the regular C

USAFRet

Titan

Most laptops of Win 7 or later have a Recovery partition. This is instead of providing you the actual Windows 7 DVD.
Find the user manual and see how to invoke this function.
If it still exists on the drive, it will return the system to exactly as it came out of the box.

Solution

troggs

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017

Found it! Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!