Possible two Graphic Cards

danielleemoore26

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Hi all,

I just bought a brand new gaming pc from PC World, its the OMAN by HP, currently I have the RX 580 4GB DDR5 and currently looking to add another graphics. The know how people in store where I bought the PC from said the motherboard does support crossfire but I'm unsure how to do it and what sort of graphic's card I need to buy. Below is a link to the exact model, This pc cost me £1299 so looking to spend an additional £150-£200.

goo.gl/g7TUed

Solution

OEMs rarely put in quality power supplies. They're trying to compete on price and the people who pay attention to these sorts of things are more likely to build themselves rather than get a pre-built. So there's not much of an incentive to put in any power supply that does more than they...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
First, do you have a monitor that would actually benefit from a second GPU? Also, Crossfire/SLI isn't very good and the support for these solutions has been fading pretty steadily, you're far better off, if you do need more GPU power, to buy a single, stronger GPU and simply sell your 580. You'll also need to purchase and install a better PSU with higher output; you have an OEM 300W in there, at least according to your link.

If you still choose to Crossfire, it would have to be with an RX 580 or an RX 480. While DX12 supports multi-GPU solutions that have very different GPUs, the programmers have to support it and right now, that's essentially Ashes of the Singularity and nobody else.

EDIT: From Richiestang's link, it appears you don't even have a second PCIE slot, so it's a moot point.

danielleemoore26

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I think I will buy a new graphics card and change it with the current one, I like the GEFORCE GTX 1060
FOUNDERS EDITION 8gb ddr5, You'd think for £1299 they would of put in a better psu considering it's a gaming pc which will need to be updated in years to come. Will this GEFORCE GTX 1060 FOUNDERS EDITION work with my current spec? I think also that a Nvidia Graphics card goes well with the i7 processor.

Thanks

The RX 580 and 1060 are on par with each other so I don't know how much of a performance boost you will get so it may not be worth the money. Your system specs arent bad at all and unless performance is bad there's not much of a need to upgrade.

I would just wait and down the line upgrade to a 1070 or 1080.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

OEMs rarely put in quality power supplies. They're trying to compete on price and the people who pay attention to these sorts of things are more likely to build themselves rather than get a pre-built. So there's not much of an incentive to put in any power supply that does more than they need to power what they sell or last any longer than the PC's warranty period. Even the boutiques that do more customized build will generally give the bog standard basic PSU if you don't specifically request a quality one.

As for the 1060, that's a sidegrade from the 580 essentially.

Solution