sjenoch

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
My current set up is-

AMD 9590
AMD RX 480
ROG Crosshair V MOBO
16G DDR3
This computer is coming up on 2 years now, I am looking to make some upgrades to it, but donw know whare really to start, I am looking to stream some with a buddy of mine on twitch using OBS. and games that i do play are limited to World of warcraft and some overwatch.

Could anyone one give me some ideas whare to start with upgrading and what parts to replace? There already is a liquid cooling system inplace from "thermaltake 360" and i think i still have the mounts and such for other cpus but no the mount for the ryzen.

Solution
Well, the best Upgrade you can do is a CPU upgrade to at least Ryzen 5 1600 6 core 12 thread, It will be about 30% faster than the FX9590 in every way. Even better the 1700 which is a 8 core 16 thread beast, which will allow you set the CPU preset in OBS to fast or even slow upping the quality since it has so many threads and gaming performance will increase quite a bit.

Intel you will be paying a bit more, but the i7 8700k is a 6 core 12 thread CPU which will out perform the Ryzen 7 1700 in most games, but not by a huge margin.

The FX9590 sure says it has 8 cores, but in reality it acts more like a quad core, single core performance on it is not much faster than the old Core 2 Quads or the old Phenom II's.

I went from a FX8320 at 5ghz to a i7 3770s at 4.2ghz and the performance different between the 2 systems with the same GPU's (2x 780ti's) were definitely worth it, The FX8320 got me low 20s and 30s in GTA5 in some situations and could not record my gameplay while the i7 3770s at stock 3.1ghz got me into the low 50's and recorded gameplay with Intels QuickSync. Arma 3 was another game the I7 just dominated, COD BO3 the lows was pretty bad on the FX, but the highers were around the same.

If you do go with Ryzen or Intel, you will need a new board, and new RAM.

Also if you need an AM4 mounting bracket for The Thermal take cooler, you can find them for pretty cheap https://store.asetek.com/

sjenoch

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Ok so start with a mobo, ram and cpu which is doable. but will the RX480 be aight to stream with? or should I look to upgrade that as well?

sjenoch

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Also should it be the 1700 or the 1700X for the ryzen, I do not overclock or anything like that

The RX480 should be decent for 1080p, as long as you are happy with it, you don't need to upgrade it for streaming.

If you do not want to overclock, and can afford the 1700x or the 1800x, they are slightly faster out of the box than the non x versions, how much faster, well maybe a few fps difference, Its not huge.

Solution