Possible USB port issue; Nikon Elements software drivers not loading

magilla666

Honorable
Sep 22, 2016
Hi all,

[strike]I am putting this on the Motherboard forum because I got no suggestions on the Digital Cameras board. It's not really a camera issue anyway[/strike]- it's a problem with drivers and possibly USB 3.0 ports. Hopefully someone can suggest something here. Thanks.

I am trying to run the freeware version of Nikon Elements on an HP Laptop. It's a Pavilion 15t-bc000. I've downloaded and installed the software several times (always with admin privileges) from www.nisoftware.net. It always reports a successful installation, but never runs.

The error message says "Could not open driver." Windows 10 sees the camera (it's a Nikon DS-Fi3 camera head for photomicroscopy) but indicates a driver error. When I update the drivers with Windows, it tells me I'm already running the best drivers.

The tech who installed the paid version of the software on a Dell owned by the college where I work tells me it is a port issue- that my Superspeed ports (they're marked "SS") are probably not running at USB 3.0 levels. The software requires USB 3.0 ports.

I've tried connecting to the two SS ports on the laptop with no luck. Device manager tells me those ports are running as USB 3.0's, and working fine. I'm using the USB 3.0 cable that came with the camera- the one that works fine on the other computer. Any suggestions are appreciated, and I hope I'm asking this in the right forum. Thanks.

magilla666

Honorable
Sep 22, 2016
In case anyone cares LOL.
On the advice of someone familiar with the hardware and software, I disabled Secure Boot. That solved the problem. My new questions is, what are the ramifications of leaving Secure Boot disabled? It seems like Very Bad Things may happen.