Possible uses for a spare (older) SSD?

phemark

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
Since I built a new PC, I have an older Intel 160GB SSD (6-years-old) that I dont use.
My current setup is:
500GB SSD (EVO 850) - OS/Games/Software/Lightroom cache
3TB HDD - Media/Photo/Video
2TB HDD - backup for Photo/Video

What could I use that spare SSD for? Is caching that 3TB media HDD worth it? Any other uses?

Thanks

Solution

Use it for the Lightroom cache. That's what I do with my old 120GB Kingston.
Maybe put a game or two on it as well.

USAFRet

Titan

Use it for the Lightroom cache. That's what I do with my old 120GB Kingston.
Maybe put a game or two on it as well.

Solution

apk24

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
I'm always running out of RAM/page, so I always recommend people using their extra SSDs as pagefile space, scratch/cache space, etc. If you find yourself running out of room for games, a second Steam library wouldn't be amiss.

or maybe get more system memory since it's about $60USD for 16GB and I have almost never gone over 8GB

apk24

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Spare SSD = No extra purchases
It's an easy way to boost your available scratch space or pagefile without spending more money.

And in many cases, the kind of page you need is expensive. take my case as an example: my total virtual memory right now is 48GB (23ish in use as i type this). I have an mITX rig with 2x8GB ram, and a 32GB kit of ddr4 ram is 100ish bucks. The reason my memory usage is so high is that I use a ton of different applications. Almost 11-12GB of that memory is chrome, and the rest is 1-2 instances of visual studio, an instance or two of arduino IDE, eclipse, MS Word, excel, and the standard set of background processes (onedrive, corsair link, msi afterburner, steam, origin, etc). In this kind of use case, more SSD pagefile has a similar effect as more RAM, since not all of it is in active use at once.

Your usage is very atypical. Most people are fine with 8GB system memory and 2GB pagefile, even if they only have an HDD.

I don't think you have things setup very well, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. Good luck.