[SOLVED] Possible water damage

Jul 28, 2020
A couple days ago, I spilled a cup of water on my computer while it was running [stupid, I know] I immediately unplugged the power and I did not hear any error noises or problems before unplugging it. The majority of the water was on the bottom of the case, under the GPU and there was a small amount of water on the motherboard.

I dried it all off with a cloth, then I let my pc dry in front of a fan for about 3 days before i powered it on and i was pretty sure there was no water anywhere inside it from visual inspection beforehand and rotating of the case.

My PC worked completely fine for about a day, but then I started getting problems. My pc started randomly turning off then rebooting whenever I'm playing a game. It runs perfectly fine until the screen suddenly turns black and then it restarts.. I inspected the pc and there is seemingly nothing wrong with it. I want to know which part of my pc is damaged and how to find out. Im really hoping its not my motherboard, because its the most expensive thing I own and it was a gift.. I'm thinking its a GPU or PSU problem but I'm not completely sure, is there any software i can install or any tips to help me diagnose my parts and figure out which is damaged?

Solution
It's possible water dropped on the exposed PCB of the GPU and that's causing the short. If you have an intel CPU with integrated graphics you can unplug the GPU and use the integrated graphics for display while running stress tests on your RAM and CPU to see if it shuts down randomly again. If it doesn't then it was the GPU that got damaged.
It's possible water dropped on the exposed PCB of the GPU and that's causing the short. If you have an intel CPU with integrated graphics you can unplug the GPU and use the integrated graphics for display while running stress tests on your RAM and CPU to see if it shuts down randomly again. If it doesn't then it was the GPU that got damaged.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS