[SOLVED] Possibly another PSU coil whine thread

Jun 16, 2019
I might have been doing something wrong so would love some points. Before replying to me just "RMA", I live in Turkey and sellers are not nice as they used to be.

I bought an Everest-brand 250W (peak 300W) PSU just for a i3 8100 system with an iTX MoBo, 1 ram and 1 2.5'' SSHD, 2 fans. So it's practically a kiosk system that shall pose no PSU threat.

I noticed PSU makes a whine sound while PC is off. I turned on deep sleep and sound stayed but lower. Also, no USB ports power anything while PC is off.

At the end, after 8 hours of use and 2 hours of idling, I removed all connections and powered on only the PSU. The whining was there. I googled all around but could not exactly find an answer to this:
Can it be considered normal for a healthy PSU to whine while turned on without being connected to anything else?

Btw even though the product looked brand new -for me-, they wrote somewhere in very small letters: "P201401". So, well yes it's a brand new "old" PSU (my mistake, live&learn >.<). Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:
Solution
Not normal at all, the only thing that can make some noise in a psu is the fan. I'm still lerning english, but i guess that "rma" is related to warranty and the possibility to give back the abject if defective. Are you saying that you can't bring it back?
In my opinion the noise is generated by some tension. It is normal to have huge delta of tension into a psu, because it charges condensors and averything also when it is off. But if you hear a noise it means probably that one or more components into your psu is not well isolated.

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019
Not normal at all, the only thing that can make some noise in a psu is the fan. I'm still lerning english, but i guess that "rma" is related to warranty and the possibility to give back the abject if defective. Are you saying that you can't bring it back?
In my opinion the noise is generated by some tension. It is normal to have huge delta of tension into a psu, because it charges condensors and averything also when it is off. But if you hear a noise it means probably that one or more components into your psu is not well isolated.

Solution
Jun 16, 2019
They may or may not consider it defective, for that reason it's hard to get it returned under an agreement. There are lots of loopholes in the system.

So; it's possible that after initial current intake of the power supply; the excess should normally stop or tickle charge. There can be some components that regularly charge and empty in a cycle or a power leak. And if the component that is responsible to handle that initial current hold process is not isolated, the whine might be happening due to that. Right?

Can that cause an explosion while being idle? That is what I am scared off.

Extra info: The whine sound happens between 16kHz and 17kHz range. I am surprised that my aunt and a few friends do not even hear tones over 13kHz. Due to that I began to think that I might be overreacting, but there are also national forum posts stating that "that brand" is never safe and to be avoided at all costs.

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019
Nah is totally normal to hear that, and is defenetly ot nice.
A psu does not literally exlode so don't worry. Normally if a psu dies/explode you just hear a pop, you may smell burned stuff or see smoke, but nothing more. I can't say if will die randomly. it is possible that wil work fine for years. I'm sorry but in this case is really a roulette. The only danger is for your pc, it is posible that a psu kills some hardware when dies (does not happen so often, but is also not so rare). So, if you can stand the noise and accept that the psu could last 10y like 3 months, I guess that you don't have to worry about the rest

Jun 16, 2019
Over phone I asked the technical support whether it's counted "ok" to hear anything from a PSU while only connected to power. Got a reply of "no". But he asked whether I tried to use it for mining (it's popular here) or whether I forced it for extra juice, etc. I got kinda lucky that the seller accepted to refund it without carrying it to technical inspection or support. You see, I cannot prove that I did not tamper with that and they can just use any excuse to push the fault to customer that is the reason I am anxious.

I went for, right now, Cooler Master MasterWatt Bronze 650 (non-modular); checked some tier lists and it was the only thing that is over B tier and in my budget. My current system probably won't drain more than 150W. I am kinda hoping the "during low load no fan" function works during my web surfing. Also I am hoping I won't face another coil whine, read also there is no 100% certainty that there is a PSU that is immune to that and non-re-branded-brands are aware of that so they offer you new/replacement units.

Edit: Unit came. And it's totally overkill for my system. Thanks to case, I found places to stick in extra cables. The cables are so long, so many. For users that aim for mATX or ITX boards, go for modular!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mastropomodoro