Question Possibly damaged CPU, system won't POST

infernumex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
I just built a new system from both new components and a few from my old one. Old components are the GPU (RTX 2080), and PSU (Corsair HX 750). Both known to be working fine. New components are the CPU (Ryzen 7 3800 with Wraith Prism cooler), motherboard (ASUS x570-plus), and RAM (Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3600).

While I was installing the Wraith Prism I had a little trouble getting it in the correct position and it moved around a fair bit before I got it locked down properly. Installed everything else and booted, but it would not POST (CPU fault light on on motherboard). Powered down, rechecked all my connections, and got it started up. Installed windows, ran some driver and windows updates, powered down. Started up again, set my RAM to the advertised speeds in the BIOS, then proceeded to use the system all day, gaming and working with no issues. Set some additional windows updates to install, then powered off for the night.

This morning I hit the power button and the CPU fault light came on on the motherboard again. System will not POST. I shut it down, checked everything, tried again, no luck. I uninstalled everything and checked the CPU and a few of the pins were bent. I figure this is probably from the cooler moving around during installation, but if so I don't understand why the system would run fine for hours on the first day. Anyway, I used a razor blade to carefully straighten the pins, and as far as I can tell they are as straight as brand new. Reinstalled everything, but the system still won't boot. CPU fault light comes on every time. I've since taken the cooler and CPU apart a couple more times, and each time a couple of the pins are slightly out of place. No matter how I straighten them and reinstall as carefully as possible, I can't fix it.

Any advice at all would be appreciated as I cannot afford another CPU right now. I have followed most of the advice in the sticky thread ("system won't POST", etc.), including trying to boot with only one DIMM installed, replacing the CMOS battery, and trying to reset the BIOS to factory settings by holding the power button while the CMOS battery is removed.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
if CPU pins keep getting bent after installation I suggest checking the motherboard for any issues with the socket. If the pins keep getting bent and back again sooner or later they're gonna snap.

Edit: also check is anything in the CPU socket that's blocking contacts with the CPU

infernumex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
if CPU pins keep getting bent after installation I suggest checking the motherboard for any issues with the socket. If the pins keep getting bent and back again sooner or later they're gonna snap.

Edit: also check is anything in the CPU socket that's blocking contacts with the CPU

I did inspect the CPU socket and it looks clear of any damage or debris, but I'm far from an expert. I did some more work with it yesterday and the final time I took the CPU apart it had no bent pins.

I was able to get the system to restart one more time by seating a single ram stick in the first slot. I then shut down, installed the second stick, then enabled the DOCP profile. The mb started doing this thing where it would power up all the fans and show an orange DRAM light, then the red CPU light would come on and the fans would all power cycle, then back to the orange light, then red again, and it just did that on a loop for as long as I let it run. After I shut it down, no matter what I do the red CPU light comes on almost immediately when I boot. I've tried maybe 20 times, checking cables and the CPU and changing the RAM slots. It just will not POST anymore.

TRENDING THREADS