Possibly dumb question about internet bandwidth and router.

michaeldean

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Let's say I have 150Mbps internet but my router limits LAN to 100Mbps, and I have two devices connected via ethernet.

Do those devices "share" that internet (so get between 50-75 Mbps) or can they both max out at 100Mbps at the same time?

Basically, I'm not sure if there is any benefit in having a 150-200Mbps internet package if a router only allows up to 100Mbps.

kanewolf

Titan
If you have 150Mbit internet and 100Mbit LAN, that usually implies you have a router with 100Mbit WAN. I don't think I have ever seen a router with gigabit WAN but 100Mbit LAN. So all devices connected to that router share 100Mbit. Either device could get the entire 100Mbit or they could get a part. But the total will be 100Mbit.

You need a router with gigabit WAN and LAN to use an internet package greater than 90Mbit because of the overhead.

michaeldean

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013

Sorry, really confused by the technical stuff so I may have mistyped or just misunderstand your comment.

I'm more interested in the correct internet package rather than hardware. Essentially I'm trying to figure out if the service I pay for (150Mbps) would be shared between all devices or if that 150Mbps is just the fastest I can achieve. Assuming the router can only achieve a max of 100Mbps on each ethernet port, would the two devices get the full 100Mbps (limited by the router) or would they only get a max of 75Mbps (limited by the internet package speed)?

USAFRet

Titan

Talking to the outside world through that router, 100mbps is the fastest you might see.
If two devices are actively downloading something at the same time...they will split that 150. It probably wouldn't be an equitable 75/75 split, but no device would see over 100 mbps.

Cheap(ish) solution...buy a better router.

That's why he said WAN port. That distinction is key. You can have as many LAN ports and whatever speed, but the SINGLE WAN port will be your BOTTLENECK.

ISP ----> Modem ---->(WAN)Router---->All LANs.

See, everything has to funnel through the ONE WAN, and if it's 100 mbit, it doesn't matter how fast the ISP is sending you stuff, you WILL be restricted to 100 mbit for all users.

You have 2 users doing exactly the same thing, each one gets 50 mbit, THAT'S IT, you are wasting what ur paying, so simple enough upgrade your router.

michaeldean

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013

Thanks, that answered it. Think I made the question more confusing by doing what I thought was making it more simple.

I'll be looking at plans and they might have a 12-month contract that allows me to pay less than I currently do and would also increase my bandwidth, so the stuff about the router is still helpful as I'd definitely want/need a new one.

michaeldean

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013

See, that's where my cluelessness comes in. I thought LAN = the ethernet ports on the router and WAN had something to do with Wifi. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As I said in my other reply it's possible I'll be moving to a plan that still offers high Mbps in which case all the stuff about the router limiting my speeds has been a huge help. Don't think I can call about changing stuff until Monday but I'll certainly be heading off to look into routers (and definitely take more time to understand what all the stuff means).

One one last detail if you have not already figured it out. Say tomorrow you sign up for 150 mbit service, EVERYTHING in the path must now be 1 gig capable (except WIFI, that's a separate discussion), because ethernet goes 10,100,1000, there is no 150 mbit ethernet. So modem needs to be 1 gig capable, router of course as discussed, ethernet switches, all 1 gig, so when you pass the "100 mbit barrier" u will have some extra expense. You can actually factor them in your cost of service switching calculation.

michaeldean

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013

Thanks. Yea I figured that out yesterday when looking around at routers and different features. Modem is good and don't have any switches, so just the router needs to be replaced (couldn't change up services but got a $25 credit this month then bill lowered by $10 for at least a year).