Possibly fried graphics card

tristan.barefoot

Reputable
Jun 26, 2018
I was messing with my pc when I forgot to plug in the 6pin connector to my gpu. There were no sparks or anything, so I thought I was ok. Right after that my gpu fan would spin but I get no display signal. Any help? (Btw it's an odd hp branded 1060)

Solution
As long as you're careful to not put the motherboard in a position in which it shorts out (that's why you see standoffs under motherboards), there's room for a lot of creativity.

This is a bit cheaper and better quality than the PSU you linked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 13:24 EDT-0400

What's your current PSU? I ask because one of the issues with pre-builts is they frequently have is power supplies/motherboards that are proprietary. If your...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Well, you're committing felony fraud if you lie about the circumstances of the PC breaking, so I will certainly not counsel you on this.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Sure, as long as you don't lie on anything you tell them, it's kosher.

Does the PC run without the GPU? It would help narrow things down as it's not necessarily the only thing that can happen when you suddenly plug in a high-power part while the PC is running. I wouldn't want to have you RMA the GPU if the PSU is at fault.

washingm088

Reputable
Jun 23, 2018
Try a different pcie slot then replug the pcie power connectors. If it still doesn't work then I would try booting up with the gpu taken out. I would also breadboard it first as previously stated, it will help you determine which components are not functioning correctly. If you do find that there is a non-working component, then go ahead and rma it since you still have the warranty.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Given the chances that the OEM PSU was an AcBel, unless you bought something pretty dire, it was a PSU upgrade!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A 250!?!? What exact 250 is this? What's on the +12V rail? I also know of no good quality 250W PSUs outside of Delta/FSP-made OEMs, so this situation is extremely alarming. If you're running a 1060, a Corsair CX 450W is the least expensive PSU that you should have considered.

GTX1060 will need about a 450w psu.
250w is not enough.

Buy a quality psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

Here is one list of quality:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

FWIW, while not a great idea, I doubt that plugging in a 6 pin connector while running is going to fry anything.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Done carefully, it's unlikely, but you combine a low-quality PSU and not seating it evenly and I've seen some nasty things happen.

I'm now not suspecting being fried as the likely result at this point, either. I never envisioned this was trying to be run off a 250W power supply of unknown quality.

tristan.barefoot

Reputable
Jun 26, 2018
Thank you guys! I'll order something like this:[ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Compact-220-B3-0650-V1/dp/B071R9Z77W&ved=2ahUKEwjxyeWe2fHbAhVLzIMKHWHaDA0QFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw06zLraer6B57EhFXhEiYU_ ] and get back to you when it gets here. (My mom is employing me to work in our yard to earn like 100 bucks for this week so it'll be a while before you hear anything. Keep ya posted!)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As long as you're careful to not put the motherboard in a position in which it shorts out (that's why you see standoffs under motherboards), there's room for a lot of creativity.

This is a bit cheaper and better quality than the PSU you linked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 13:24 EDT-0400

What's your current PSU? I ask because one of the issues with pre-builts is they frequently have is power supplies/motherboards that are proprietary. If your replacemenet is kind of generic ATX capable and works with your motherboard, we don't have to worry about that. It's one of many reasons to avoid pre-builts like the plague!

Solution