[SOLVED] Possibly fried my PC due to a faulty PSU, how to diagnose?

BlueStripe_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013
Few days ago my PC suddenly switched off out of nothing. I suspected my PSU to be at the end of it's life span a few months already, but never had any outages or anything.
Tried turning the PC on again once to no avail.
Just swapped in a new PSU, motherboard shows the background lighting and the ethernet lights flicker when the PSU is on (I/O). However absolutely nothing happens when I try turning the PC on...
I'm expecting the worst, but what to do next?

PSU is an OCZ FATAL1TY 750W

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The next steps would be to test each bit of hardware in a known working enviro. Some is pretty easy such as you can slot RAM into another compatible DDR type motherboard and see if they work, GPU, fans, drives, such as that. The harder part is when it comes to mobo and CPU unless you happen to have a same generation compatible build available to you.

In such cases it is important to note that damaged components can cause damage to other hardware when moved. It is a chance you take.
It is of value to consider how old these components are compared against how much it would cost to just replace them with something newer or even a complete working refurb, etc. according to your use case.

Reactions: KyaraM

BlueStripe_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013
The next steps would be to test each bit of hardware in a known working enviro. Some is pretty easy such as you can slot RAM into another compatible DDR type motherboard and see if they work, GPU, fans, drives, such as that. The harder part is when it comes to mobo and CPU unless you happen to have a same generation compatible build available to you.

In such cases it is important to note that damaged components can cause damage to other hardware when moved. It is a chance you take.
It is of value to consider how old these components are compared against how much it would cost to just replace them with something newer or even a complete working refurb, etc. according to your use case.

Any other things that might have happened besides my PSU ruining all components?

I now notice the motherboard background lighting is on and the ethernet lights flicker even though the PSU is set to the off (O/I) position. Removing the adapter cord from the healthy PSU turns them off.

Furthermore the case LEDs go on for a milisecond after pressing the power button, nothing further happens.

Last edited: