Question Possibly overheating Nvidia RTX 2080 TI FE at 100 C

Dec 27, 2021
I've had this card for a while now, it's an Nvidia RTX 2080 TI FE. Using normal temperature monitoring software usually gives me the temperature reading of one sensor. However, using Corsair's iCUE software I found out there are 3 separate sensors.

At peak temperatures, each sensor has readings as follows:
Temp #1 ~ 85c
Temp #2 ~ 90c
Temp #3 ~ 95c
Although, in rare cases, temp 3 can reach 100 degrees, as it has before.
The idle temperature also seems to be around 50c on Temp #3.

I'm simply worried the GPU may be overheating very severely. It's not overclocked to what I know, it's not dusty and both fans work and spin up given temperature rise. ( However, they never turn off I'm assuming because the temperatures are always too high)
So, what can I do? I don't want to take the card apart if it's got bad thermal paste, since it's expensive and isn't even that old, under 5 years old.

I have a Lian Li 011D with 3 fans running as intake on the bottom, 6 on the side and the top running as exhaust. The side fans run through the CPU AIO.
These fans also spin up quite high and do move a lot of heat given a rise in GPU temperature.

But yeah, what should I do? I'm worried about my GPU and I hear it starts to throttle at 85c.

And lastly, is it concerning for the GPU fans to run at 1500 RPM constantly? They aren't big fans, but I'm not sure if they can handle running that much at those kinds of temperatures.

Thanks for any replies!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Without knowing what each one is exactly, it's hard to say. Use HWINFO.
Gpu temperature:
Gpu hot spot:
Memory junction: may or may not be available

And lastly, is it concerning for the GPU fans to run at 1500 RPM constantly? They aren't big fans, but I'm not sure if they can handle running that much at those kinds of temperatures.
No. They are designed to run for a constant 100%.

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
My rtx2080ti needed repasting as fans were running at full speed, the paste itself was hard and after fresh paste was applied it was quiet as a mouse after that, give it a go, it's easy to do, just be carefull and take notice of everything especially the fan connectors and memory pads.

Dec 27, 2021
Without knowing what each one is exactly, it's hard to say. Use HWINFO.
Gpu temperature:
Gpu hot spot:
Memory junction: may or may not be available

No. They are designed to run for a constant 100%.

Yeah, just having a look in that app, GPU Temperature relates to Temp #1 and GPU Hot Spot Temperature relates to Temp #3.
Is that any help? Also, should I take apart the card to replace the thermals? I've never done it before but I'm not stupid, I'm mainly worried about static electricity and the irreplaceable, very expensive card becoming an expensive paperweight

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, just having a look in that app, GPU Temperature relates to Temp #1 and GPU Hot Spot Temperature relates to Temp #3.
Is that any help? Also, should I take apart the card to replace the thermals? I've never done it before but I'm not stupid, I'm mainly worried about static electricity and the irreplaceable, very expensive card becoming an expensive paperweight
1)Yes. The values are OK and within spec.
2)If you want to... the FE cooler is the weak link though. The shroud design traps heat.
Reducing the power limit may help more than taking the card apart for whatever reason: 90-95% limit via Msi Afterburner. Make sure to unlink power and temperature limit(chain link icon).

Reactions: Mushroom_R