[SOLVED] Possibly the worst case of latency you have ever seen, I need serious help

verynicethx

Reputable
Sep 17, 2019
This stupid thing was bugging me for two years I think, but I thought I'm just overthinking it and everything is okay. Why? Because the fps was normal, it just didn't feel or look normal.
I felt input delay, I felt something off, my speakers or headset would sometimes crackle, like it lags for a split second and loses sound, that sound is always audible when I boot the pc up. My gameplay suffered, even typing this is laggy as <Mod Edit>, doesn't look normal.
Let me get this out of the way, I really thought I was just overreacting to the smallest details and thought to myself "hey, maybe you just need to play more and you will be at your same skill again, maybe that's the feeling you're experiencing", but man I saw some reddit post of a guy with a similar problem and he recommended LatencyMon. I loaded that <Mod Edit> up, started Warzone and did I see some <Mod Edit>. I will attach the screenshots, but basically, thousands of "hard pagefaults" and nvidia's driver has a delay of 2.5ms, I haven't seen this on any example for this ever! My pc just doesn't feel smooth and I have a freaking 240hz monitor!

Latest thing that got me really worried was when yesterday after alt tabbing warzone was looking disgusting like it was at 10fps, but IT SHOWED THAT IT'S RUNNING ON 100-120, WHAT?! When that happened before I just turned my monitor off, turned it back on, for some reason that usually worked, not this time. Whenever I alt tabbed discord would offer me to switch my audio device to nvidia hd audio driver for some reason, the lag wouldn't go away, even after restarting warzone. Throughout a year or so warzone was giving me frezees and errors here and there, sometimes bsod's even, that would usually be fixed by me changing the xrp or some other setting, I don't even remember what, but now I see that all that probably didn't help, it doesn't crash anymore, but there is still this annoying issue.

Things I've tried so far:

testing without nvidia hd audio driver (unistalled it)
disabling shadowplay (I had a feeling "hmmmm maybe nobody notices this lag and thinks shadowplay doesn't hurt fps", well I was wrong, still the same)
memtest (left it overnight, it was over in the morning and it said 0 problems found)
xrp is turned on (memory try it! option in msi's bios, also using the exact settings listed on the qvl list, ram is 100% supported)
temps are completely fine, I take good care of my pc, it's my baby
deep malware scan with malwarebytes, was running for the whole day, said it found some threats, was some pirated stuff I downloaded so I just deleted those, everything clean
sfcscan or whatever it's called, did the online windows image replacement or something like that
did ryzen dram calculator even though I strongly disagree about even recommending someone to fix their problems with this as the pc should work fine out of the box if everything is supported, an average consumer wont be able to do this stuff

I won't mention a lot of the tweaks because there is no point in them, the pc should work fine after just installing all the necessary drivers, some techsupport guy from youtube doesn't need to show me a secret trick to disable something in registry in order to fix this, but I will mention some, nvidia control panel options are optimized, you know all that "prefer max performance, reflex on ultra yada yada", power mode is ryzen high performance.

ALL drivers including BIOS are up to date. Everything was downloaded from my mbo manufacturers website, this will sound like a cringe flex, but I'm an advanced pc user, not an expert, but I know what to do and what not to do, I've built a lot of pc's and never encountered this issue. this was giving me a hard time for literally 2 years.

I will attach the LatencyMon reports files, I have two of them, the second one is more <Mod Edit>, I'll attach the screenshots (took them with my phone cause lazy).

I will say tho that I think this is pointing to a gpu problem as that driver seems to be struggling, but hard pagefaults confuse me and I do have an old hdd and warzone is running on my hdd, BUT even windows has the same type of lag and it's running on my ssd which is Samsung's (one of the best, but not the fastest, don't remember the model, but it's a quality ssd). Also, I have a suspicion about the PSU, just because this is a weird type of issue, hard to diagnose and it's a 550w psu and when I hear internet say that it's enough for my specs, even a bit too much I somehow can't buy into that, I think like it could be insufficient.

Anyways, here are the specs:

mbo: msi b450 tomahawk max
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
gpu: asus rtx 2060 super dual evo oc (what a name, right?)
ram: Corsair Vengeance low profile 2x8gb@3600 CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 (bdie - I won the ram lottery basically)
hdd: wd black 1tb sata
hdd1: wd blue 3tb sata
ssd: samsung 860 (i think) evo 500gb
monitor: benq xl2546 240hz

LatencyMon reports:

https://pastebin.com/AfNrfAYN
https://pastebin.com/tJcuigxy (worse one)

I can also post a video of my LatencyMon menu lagging, when I hover my mouse over items it registers them being "touched" late. Same happens when I hover over Windows icons, like it doesn't keep up with the mouse. And if ithe same "heavy lag" happens in Warzone I will take a video and post it.

This is a desperate call to all experts here to give me advice as this has basically lead me to a "gaming depression", I always went back and forth changing settings, thinking I just suck suddenly, I don't know where to start troubleshooting without pulling my hair out as this is such a confusing problem to have. Two culprits for now seem to be the gpu or the psu, but I'm just not sure, man, I had a faulty gpu before this one, same model, caused bsod's, but got it replaced, it can't be that I'm so unlucky to get another bad gpu, or am I?

Screenshots (imgur album) of LatencyMon while playing some Warzone (I experienced the stutters and sound "skip" in this session also):

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
if you alt tabing from fullscreen, high latency from display driver is expected
switch to windowed fullscreen

for hard pagefaults, if its heavy, then you dont have enough RAM, pagefault means swap is used
you can disable swap file to see if its just windows fluke, in worst case app will crash with not enough ram, but 16GB should be fine for games and some background stuffs

otherwise did you try DDU to nuke your gpu drivers and install fresh one?
your windows is up to date?
try reseting CMOS, sometimes bad bios configuration can produce weird stuffs

for hard pagefaults, if its heavy, then you dont have enough RAM, pagefault means swap is used
you can disable swap file to see if its just windows fluke, in worst case app will crash with not enough ram, but 16GB should be fine for games and some background stuffs

Solution

verynicethx

Reputable
Sep 17, 2019

does this mean even the numbers i get are expected results from latencymon?

basically, the swap is fine, it's setup to use my ssd where windows is, hdds dont use pagefiles (disabled)
tried ddu, yes, forgot to mention that
windows always up to date
i'll reset cmos and see what it does, but that will make my ram run at default speeds which is not the best option

edit: I forgot to mention psu, evga supernova g3 550w, is this even enough for my system? 2 harddrives btw

Last edited: