POST - 1 long beep, 3 short beeps

Sep 20, 2018
Hello

I recently finished a build and in about 20 power ups, 2 of those I got an error during POST that sounds 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, which should mean "Video card not detected" or "Bad video card" in my case. I later realized that only those 2 times, either I hadn't plugged in my HDMI cable or the monitor was just off.
My question is, would the motherboard "sound" this issue, simply for not having the GPU connected to a display? Or does it have to be a bigger problem with the GPU alone?
What would you recommend doing?

In case it helps, the components are:
- Asus Prime B360M-K
- Intel Core i5 8400
- Msi Armour GTX 1080 OC
- Corsair DDR4 16GB 2400Mhz
- Corsair CX550m
- Crucial MX500 GB

Thank you, any help is appreciated

Solution
It would just be telling you it cant detect any video output, like you said with the monitor not plugged in.

I assume it works ok now its plugged in?

Ramlethal

Estimable
IT SHOULD DEFINITLY NEVER DO THAT SOUND. Unless the Asus Prime B360M-K has a function to notify you that!
Basically i would just research on the Asus Prime B360M-K manual if it has such function or a similar one to discard possible failures.
If not, the problem is definitly on the mobo or the GPU.
If you have another GPU try connecting it on place of the GTX 1050ti powering it up a similar amount of times (like 20 times) (i know, it takes its time and its very annoying but its the only way to actually check whats going on) and check if it does the same. If it does, the fault its the mobo that there is something wrong, if it dosent its the 1050ti...
But if everything works just fine aside from that i wouldnt actually worry at all...

Sep 20, 2018
I don't think it's a RAM issue. I did some research and asus uses this beep sequence to notify a GPU problem.
When I do turn on the monitor just before powering the pc up, I get the usual 1 beep so everything is fine. Only those 2 times that it happened I found it unusual to indicate such a serious problem, just because the display wasn't connected.
All 3 answers were so different, I am a bit confused about this now...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah if its working now you have a display connected, its fine. Dont worry about it.

TRENDING THREADS