Question Post BIOS Update: B450M Pro4 Restart Issues

Opie-100

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I updated my B450M Pro4 to 5.3 BIOS today (from 4.3). I get three beeps until I choose the correct XMP profile in the BIOS for my memory. However, I still get the three beeps when I exit out of the BIOS and when I attempt to restart the machine in Windows. Shutting down in Windows works and starting up also works. I Just get the three beeps when I restart in Windows or exit out of BIOS. I have DDR4 3200 Crucial Memory and it passes Memtest. I also pulled the battery out to reset CMOS but didn't seem to change anything. Should I try reflashing the BIOS again?

(Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4BL).

Last edited:
Yes. I would try to reflash it again. If the problem didn't exist before, but does now, it can only be because of the firmware. Whether that's because of a compromised flash or a problem with the firmware version remains to be seen but I'd try that first and if that doesn't work I'd contact ASRock directly regarding your issues after flashing. Those are the only two options that have any relevance.

Opie-100

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Ok, just tried it. No difference -- still beeps three times when I exit out of BIOS -- have to hold power button down and then reboot. I will add that the 1.35V shows up as RED in the BIOS.

Opie-100

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for your help troubleshooting. I just downgraded back to 4.3 and the beeps are gone. My son had been complaining that his games were occasionally freezing, and that went away (at least for the one night with the 5.3) so we will diagnose that separately. By here's what a moderator in the ASRock forums said:

"The problem is that there are so many AGESA versions on AM4, many of which add support for new CPU generations and features. Beyond a certain point they stop adding functionality and fixes for older CPUs and instead you run the risk of bugs and incompatibilities on older architecture."

Last edited: