Post code issues (code 00) Msi board

RelaxedBurrito

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hello everyone,

I just built my first computer and am having issues with the motherboard. When powering it on I am met with the Post Code of 00. When pluging the system into a monitor it get a "NO SIGNAL"; this occurs both when using DVI and HDMI from either the Mobo or the GPU. I have been reading on here that 00 is not a post code which I checked the manual for. This is indeed true that 00 is not a post code, yet that is what the Mobo is giving me. As of now I have tested with the GPU out (R9 390 8GB) and put the Ram (1x8GB stick 2400) in multiple slots with no change. My CPU is the new Skylake i5 6600k.

The only thing I have yet to check because I dread doing it is to see if the CPU or seat is bent or damaged. I did have a hard time getting the heat-sink on (Cooler Master Vortex Plus) and perhaps it has something to do with it.

I have been hearing that the best thing to do is RMA which I can but first I would like some options. If you need more information please ask me and I can compile a spec list at a later time.

Solution
You're welcome.
If bent pins... I don't know. From other users' feedback, some had the RMA accepted.
On the other hand, it might be considered as customer induced damage. Hard to say.
I suggest firstly checking.

RelaxedBurrito

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

I am 99% certain I am using the correct cable. I used the cable that is built into the power supply and cannot by mistaken for a Sata etc.. As for the fan on the heat-sink, it does go on and runs.

I am not with the computer at the moment but will be later tonight EST.

RelaxedBurrito

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Alright, I will check it tonight. Should I attempt an RMA and if so would they accept it?

I purchased this from MicroCenter which I hear will replace it (motherboard). Replacing the motherboard is only helpful if it's the cpu seat and not the actual processor.

What is your opinion?

I suggest checking firstly the CPU socket (take the board outside the case firstly). If no bent pins, try reinstalling the CPU, the Intel stock CPU cooler, connecting both 24 and 8 pin power cables and starting the board (still outside the case). See if the CPU fan does spin and if still 00.

RelaxedBurrito

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Alexoiu I will try that later today and let you know what happens.

Again, If it is the board, would an RMA be possible?

Thanks again.

RelaxedBurrito

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Just to update you, I got a new board at MicroCenter no questions asked. I will try again tonight or tomorrow.

Any tips on the heat-sink or ensuring I don't fry anything? I have a wrist strap which I attached to the case itself.

RelaxedBurrito

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Good news everyone!

It POSTED! I am able to see and get to the BIOS now. I am waiting on my OS in the mail but the system works. I need to do some cable organizing and I find that the fat power cables which came with the power supply is thick and hard to work with. I am using a Corsair Redshift 2.0 (Mid) and the GPU's power sockets stick out towards the glass window. With the plugs in it looks really bad since it almost touches the glass. Are there slim, more flexible power cords for PCI?

Thanks for your help and I would have no problem making a quick guide for the 00 Post issue for future users on here to use.

JackFunk

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

I got a 00 out of the box. I followed the instructions here, removed the mobo from the case, inspected the cpu socket (no bent pins), removed everything except the heat sink, the cpu fans, the cpu power, the main power, and the power button connector. Powered on and 00 again.

This is my second M5. I was able to RMA the first one.

How did you get your's to work?

JackFunk

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

The CPU fan does spin, so...

The first M5 that I had I got to boot and updated the bios. Everything was going well until I plugged in the CPU fans (I only had the heat sink attached when doing the bios). After I plugged them in I got the 00. I thought it might be the cooler (a Phanteks) so when I RMA'd the mobo, I ordered a Cooler Master.

If the CPU was good with the first board (at least at first), what might have gone wrong with it after it worked initially?