Post Counts

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Not that this is a big deal ... but it seems that post counts don't increase as new posts are added ... see this thread Posts per day ... my "count" remains at 5145 ... and I've noticed the same for other posters ... I don't care that much, but others will. :|

It works. The value is retrieved from a server side database and displayed when the thread (no matter how old it is) is generated. Same with sigs - If you change your sig, all older threads with your posts in will display your new sig.

Regarding this - I would actually like to have a running post count which is updated an stored in each post - Like you think it should be.

Same with the sigs.

But this would require more bandwidth and storage space on the server (although it would only be a small amount)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Its the number of posts Ned has when the page is displayed.

Do a test. View an old thread with some of your posts in it. Note the post count. Now post a couple times. View the same thread. Post count went up for you.

Mike.

See.

Some of the data (post count / Sigs) are added from a database when the thread is being displayed - instead of being saved as part of that post like in the old forum.

Personally, I prefer the old way - I love seeing some of my old sigs.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ditto.

Also can be used to see if the post you're reading was before or after <insert annoying newb here> learned his newbie lesson...

Mike.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
See.

Some of the data (post count / Sigs) are added from a database when the thread is being displayed - instead of being saved as part of that post like in the old forum.

That is correct. In the old forum (TOF) sigs and post counts were added to the post and were not changeable. In the new forumz, if you change sig or post count changes, everything will refresh dynamically (in other words, such things are added at 'display time' not at 'post time').

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005

The old sigs are there still attached to the posts (could not be extacted out anyways as they are jointed to the posts). From the time we migrated, sigs are dynamically attached.
:)