Question POST hates gpu but gets to windows anyways?

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I'm running into a problem I've never seen before and can't find via google. My motherboard is a MSI B550 Mortar.

I installed a bios update and windows 10 using a ryzen 2200G and used the PC for a few weeks while waiting for parts, and I'm now switching to a ryzen 3900x +gtx 1080 ti.

I'm installing the gtx 1080 ti first. My motherboard is beeping at me with a gpu error code if I don't plug a monitor into the integrated graphics. Then it gets to windows and works beautifully, with gpu temps sitting at a constant 28C. I'm even writing this using the 1080 ti.

I tried disabling integrated graphics, and now it just gives a gpu error code regardless. It still gets to windows and works great, but I can't see either the POST or bios screen.

Do I need to RMA?

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
Mi01Zbf.png

bqVY79V.png

te7JiQ7.png

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
When you changed the processor did you start with a new install of Windows 10 via the Windows Media Creation Tool? You will need to have at least version 1909. Also, did you make sure that your RAM model is on the MSI QVL (Qualified Vendor List)? It would be helpful if you could give us the error codes that you are experiencing. A common error code for the newer Ryzen processors is the Clock_Watchdog_Timeout error. If you are receiving this particular error, installing the most up-to-date version of Windows 10 will fix it. You will also need to download the chipset drivers directly from AMD and not from the MSI website.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
When you changed the processor did you start with a new install of Windows 10 via the Windows Media Creation Tool? You will need to have at least version 1909. Also, did you make sure that your RAM model is on the MSI QVL (Qualified Vendor List)? It would be helpful if you could give us the error codes that you are experiencing. A common error code for the newer Ryzen processors is the Clock_Watchdog_Timeout error. If you are receiving this particular error, installing the most up-to-date version of Windows 10 will fix it. You will also need to download the chipset drivers directly from AMD and not from the MSI website.

I don't think POST cares about Windows.

Also,

My motherboard is beeping at me with a gpu error code if I don't plug a monitor into the integrated graphics. Then it gets to windows and works beautifully, with gpu temps sitting at a constant 28C. I'm even writing this using the 1080 ti.

The error code is 1 long beep and 2 short beeps

TRENDING THREADS