[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Post issues (multiple boards)

SamNabz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2014
Hey all,

I'm experiencing post issues with the following motherboards:
  1. MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (BIOS updated for 3000 series): Showing CPU debug light (and occasionally the VGA light as well) -- this has been my main board for well over a year without any issues, up until a few days ago where it would not post after a simple reboot
  2. MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi: Showing DRAM debug light -- this is a brand new board (received 12th Jan)
My other hardware:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3200Mhz 16GBx2 (HX432C16FB4K2/32)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TB
  • GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT 8GB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
  • Monitor: ASUS XB270HU (connected via DisplayPort)
  • O/S: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Things I've already tried (on both boards):
  • Reseating CPU
  • Reseating GPU
  • Reseating RAM - single + multiple (in different slots)
  • Different PSU
  • Different GPU
  • Different RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400Mhz 4GBx2 (CMK8GX4M2A2400C14)
  • Resetting CMOS (even replaced battery on the B450 board)
Results:
  • B450: Occasionally posts + starts up/runs as per normal, but not posting most of the time (inc. right now) -- hardware temps + voltages all seemed normal (last time it was on)
  • B550: Does not post at all. Shows DRAM debug light each time

Further to the above, the only thing I haven't been able to test, is another CPU - as I don't have one handy. I'm really hoping it is not the cause, but I'm trying to get my hands on one to test.

In the meantime, if anyone has some other suggestions to try, I'm all ears!

Solution
Regardless of the lack of response, I figured I'd provide an update on this. In case it helps someone else out in future...

@rgd1101 no bent pins. However, after further inspection of the 3700x, I found there was a bit of thermal paste in between the pins. I cleaned it up with a soft toothbrush and a bit of isopropyl alcohol (let it dry), and it came back to life.

Results:
  • B450: Back to working as per usual (with the 3700x)
  • B550: Still not posting. Even tested another CPU + another RAM kit. Board is DOA and in the process of being RMA'd

SamNabz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2014
Regardless of the lack of response, I figured I'd provide an update on this. In case it helps someone else out in future...

@rgd1101 no bent pins. However, after further inspection of the 3700x, I found there was a bit of thermal paste in between the pins. I cleaned it up with a soft toothbrush and a bit of isopropyl alcohol (let it dry), and it came back to life.

Results:
  • B450: Back to working as per usual (with the 3700x)
  • B550: Still not posting. Even tested another CPU + another RAM kit. Board is DOA and in the process of being RMA'd

Solution