Question POST=no beeps,no video,no mouse/keyboard lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Hi I have a PC booting problem. I built it my self 9 years ago. I think it may be a CPU problem but I am not sure.

Symptoms when I turn on my PC:
  • all fans start running
  • the case fan lights are all on
  • the system fans stops after 3 sec aprox
  • there are no beeps
  • there is no video output (from graphic card, nor MB video output)
  • the mouse and keyboard lights are off
  • PC just stays that way, nothing changes after few minutes

What was tested:
  • tried ever combinations with my 2 8Gb RAM sticks, no changes
  • removing all memort sticks produces lots of beeps
  • removed my graphic card, no changes
  • graphic card replaced, no changes
  • PSU replaced, no changes
  • all HD and burner disconnected, no changes
  • unpluged power cord +pressed power on button to drain power + reseting BIOS by connecting battery connectors for a few seconds then reboot, no changes
  • motherboard was replaced with an identical one, no changes (was a used one I bought on Ebay because not available anywhere else)

The only thing I haven't done is replacing the CPU.

Do you think its the CPU?

I know I should just replace MB, CPU, RAM but I am out of a job for 4 months and running out of money in 1-2 months. I wanted to do this 3 years ago but priorities changed. I just want it running again for a few months so I can have a job and then start upgrading.

Dec 20, 2021
From the sound of this, it may be the CPU, since you tested just about all the other parts. Two things to know before you buy a replacement CPU:
  • Have you tried running the computer from a different plug in your home? There is a chance you have a faulty plug and nothing wrong with the computer.
  • If it still doesn't work, there are a number of CPU's from 9 years ago on ebay at a very good price, however there are also a number of scams on Ebay and have personally been scammed a number of times on the most legitimate looking listings.. Generally, I find the reseller section on Amazon to have the best prices while not avoiding getting scammed.

Something similar happened to me a while ago, and replacing the PSU fixed the issue, so my best guess after trying another outlet (even better in a different area of your home) is that the CPU is the culprit.

Wishing you luck on finding a job (or maybe business), times are tough right now!

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
My PC is plugged to a power bar where the only other thing plugged is my screen.

I had seen one CPU at Ebay. I only check those that had a lot of evaluations and from thrusted resellers. Guess that is what I will do.

Thx.

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Received my CPU. Replaced it. Booted up PC. Same problem. I don't understand.

Replaing MB and CPU with same identical models (used) does not fix the issue.

Bestbuy tech told me they tried replaing PSU and graphic card then swapping my 2 memory cards in different combinations but booting up still produces same identical problem, no beeps, no video, no mouse lights, no keyboard lights. The only times it beeps is if I completly remove the ram sticks. Are they lying to me?

All case fans and CPU fans are spinning but system fans spins only 3 seconds then stops.

What is going on?

Other question: since my CPU is the max my MB can take, what if the used MB I bought did not have the BIOS updated to support it? Is that possible and if so would I have different symptoms?

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
After reading a similar thread yesterday, I started to think about one other possibility. What if even after replacing MB and CPU the problem is caused by my 2 RAM sticks being both defective?

In 9 years, the only hardware changes I did other then HD and graphic cards are RAM and CPU. I know i should have done major upgrades back then but I was satisfied with the current hardware.

I upgraded the CPU to the max my MB could stand. I had also replaced my 2 RAM sticks through Corsair because a Memtest proved they were defective.

Now I am thinking the issue might be both RAM sticks again. I will go back to the store where I asked them to check my PC and asked them if they tried other RAM sticks. I somehow get the feeling they did not and that they should have done a Memtest.

Ic anyone has other leads, please do.

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Found fhe cause.

Both of my RAM sticks are defective. Store tech used different DD3 sticks and when he rebooted, it went all the way to Windows login screen.

I asked him why they did not bothered doing this when fhey checked it out in early December. I did not get an answer. I was pissed off because of this and because he said they cannot do a memtest. Another teck came in to explain that if they cannot get a successfull POST that even on another PC they could not do it. First tech I talked to did not explained. I asked him to send me an email with an explanation because I need to give proof to Corsaire (garanteed for life).

Corsair said they will start an RMA. I don't know how long it will take.

One I get a job I will start looking in doing a major upgrade.

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
I am beyond confused !

This morning I got my memory replacement from Corsair. I put in these 2 sticks abd press the boot button. To my surprise, no boot, no beeps. I removed both RAM sticks and booted. No beeps, no boot ! All 4 fans are running.

The replacement RAM are the same model as I had.

Last time my PC booted was at the Bestbuy Geeksquad lab. they had replaced my memory sticks with others they had. it booted all the way into Windows. they sent me a screenshot of my PC with a monitor showing Windows login. I did the same thing with the RAM replacement but nothing happens???

I tried plugging into power wall plug from a different room. No difference.

I removed the battery for 1 min, reseted CMOS, removed graphic card, put back my old MB and CPU (had bought used ones because either was the cause). Still no boot and no beeps.

If my PC booted as is with only different RAM sticks at tech lab, I see no reasons for not booting at home with the replacement RAM.

Am I cursed? Still without a job.....

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
I still have no POST ar all. Initially removing all RAM caused the POST to beep. Now even if I remove them, no beeps at all, no boot, no keyboard/wired mouse lights.

A) when it was beeping with removed RAM, here is what was done
-tech replaced PSU, no success
-tech eplaced graphic carcd, no success
  • i reseted CMOS and removed battery, no success
  • i replaced MB with identical used model, no success
  • I replaced CPU with identical used model, no success
  • last, I asked tech to test RAM stick, they replaced with other ones, SUCCES! Tech sent me a screenshot sowing it booted up to Windows login screen

B) So I got Corsair to deplace both RAM sticks, took 3 weeks to get them. Inserted them and now I get a different problem: no boot, no beeping (even if I removed all RAM)
  • I removed both RAM abd boot, no beeps. From this point I am trying stuffs without my RAM
  • used power plug of a different room, no success, no beeps
  • swapped with my old MB and CPU (originals), no beeps
  • at this point I thought somehow my PSU died, so I bought a new one, no beeps
  • tried again removing battery and reseting CMOS, no beeps
  • disconected all power to all drives, no beep
  • removed graphic card, no beep

The last time it booted successfully was when tech proved memory was defective. Once I got the memory replacement, it no longer beep for any situation.

What is going on?

What if the BIOS is somehow back to a previous version and no longer recognizes my CPU (max allowed one for MB). Could that be the cause on both MB?

If so, how can I update the BIOS if I cannot even boot? I threw away my old I5 CPU.

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS