Question POSTed to Safe Mode After Initial Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2020
I'm working on overclocking my rig, following this guide (
View: https://youtu.be/bM5XO96b4G0
), and have run into an issue where it boots to safe mode each time. From digging around online, it seems like there might be an issue with the RAM frequency and voltage. I have 4 x 16 gb sticks of Corsair 4000 MHz RAM, which in XMP II are set to run at 4000 MHz. The only way I can get it to boot to successfully is to lower the frequency to 3600 MHz, which is frustrating since I paid for 4000.

I'm working my way through increasing the DRAM voltage in small increments, but I'm wondering at this point if it even matters to have my ram run at 4000 MHz. I realize my understanding of how this all works is lacking, but if I have 64 gb of RAM can I get away with the lower frequency? I'm trying to overclock GPU and CPU to get the best results for gaming.

Thanks.

For reference, here's my build:
I9-9900k
Ram as mentioned above
Rog strix 2080ti
Rog maximus hero XI mobo

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information.

Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

including the aftermarket cooler used to cool the processor. You will also need to check and see which BIOS version you're currently running on the motherboard. Then see if you have any updates pending.

Mar 9, 2021
We're going to need more information.

Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

including the aftermarket cooler used to cool the processor. You will also need to check and see which BIOS version you're currently running on the motherboard. Then see if you have any updates pending.

I'm having the exact same issue. Brand new build, first build I've ever done actually.

Ryzen 7 5800x (No OC)
Asus Prime X570-Pro
32GB Corsair Dominator RGB White 4000mhz (4x8)
256GB Inland Premium M.2 Boot Drive Only
512GB Seagate Firecuda M.2 PCIe4
EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 Ultra (No extra OC)
Corsair CX750F RGB PSU
Corsair Crystal 680x Case
Corsair iCueH100i AIO CPU Cooler
(5) Corsair QL120s
(3) Corsair QL140s
Windows 10 64-bit

Clean install, no short cuts. Updated all drivers and new bios for MB. Chipset and GPU drivers downloaded from OEM site. All PSU connections tight. Temps all below 55.

Have been trying to bump up my RAM, but enabling XMP puts PC into boot loop followed by safe mode boot. Adjusted down 2 to 1 speed RAM-to-fclk from 4000mhz/2000mhz in increments. System stabilizes at 3600mhz RAM / 1800mhz fclk. Have not touched voltages or timings yet. RAM is not on QVL but seeing as it works up to 3600mhz, and Asus claiming 4000mhz will be the sweetspot RAM speed for this board/cpu combo, I feel like there's something to be done to achieve the 4000mhz with stability.

Any help, procedures, steps, ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.