Posts but does not boot

rustaub

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
New build of: MSI 77A=GD65 mobo, Core I-5; MSI R770--PMD1GD5 graphics card, Seasonic 80Plus M1211 PSU and Asus Xonar DSX 7.1PCIe Audio Card.

PC functioned normally for a few days. Then mouse and keyboard froze followed by display disappearing. I would shut down PC and after a minute, turn it back on , fans and LEDs light up but it would not boot. Events first occurred every few days, then hours and then minutes.
I did the following:
Checked all connections; reseated Video Card; reinstalled Xonar Audio driver,( Audio function normal), Ran Eset NOD32 Anti-Viral scan twice; Checked Device Manager for probs and checked that drivers were up to date; Cleared CMOS and re-seated CMOS battery. Hit F6 to reset BIOS to optimal defaults but adjusted boot order to: CD-Atapi/Hard Drive/USB/USB Key) saved and rebooted. The event would occur while working in Windows on or off line, while in Safe Mode or in BIOS.
After unplugging power, removed Video Card, Network Card and Sound Card unplugged cables from Hard Drive and CD/DVD, removed RAM #2 and reseated RAM #1. I had already.. Now with just CPU, PSU 1 stick RAM I connected onboard VGA to monitor
Cleared CMOS using above procedure. Then I powered up:
I could again get to BIOS but would lose display within a minute. (Lasts longer when tried overnight. Got same result with different keyboard using same mouse. With neither mouse nor keyboard got to screen that gives 2 choices; that screen also disappears in < 1 min. Also removed last stick of RAM and on turning on power heard 3 long beeps
Seasonic RMA requires one to turn off power switch for 5 minutes, then turn it back on and repeat “ a few times.” Should power remain plugged in ? Should PC power be off ? Should devices be disconnected ?
I did access another (new) PSU and substituted it for mine. Got same result. Also, substituted new RAM and got same result. Talked to MSI they said BIOS could be corrupted or a chip on the board is bad.

lesterf1020

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Every time I have seen a problem like this on an 1155 motherboard the issue has always been the powersupply. All other solutions only bring temporary relief. My advice is to get yourself another quality powersupply. The 1155 chipset is very fussy about power.

rustaub

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Thank you for your reply. In the meantime I did access another (new) PSU and substituted it for mine. Got same result. Also, substituted new RAM and got same result. Talked to MSI they said BIOS could be corrupted or a chip on the board is bad.