postscript forwarder for windows xp

Hello,
I am looking for a little program/driver that installs itself as windows
printer and accepts raw postscript data, forwarding the received data to an
actual printer driver, that prints out on a physical printer...
Thanks in advance
manuel

Manuel Gaus <ingausNOSPAM@debitel.net> wrote:

> I am looking for a little program/driver that installs itself as windows
> printer and accepts raw postscript data, forwarding the received data to an
> actual printer driver, that prints out on a physical printer...

This may do what you want:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm

Warren Block wrote:
> Manuel Gaus <ingausNOSPAM@debitel.net> wrote
>
>> I am looking for a little program/driver that installs itself as windows
>> printer and accepts raw postscript data, forwarding the received data to
>> an actual printer driver, that prints out on a physical printer...
>
> This may do what you want:
>
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm

yes, thats actually exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot :)
i'll give a quick account of configuration for who is interested.

My aim was to be able to print from a linux box to a windows xp printing
share without working linux support for the actual printer (eg. many
lexmark printers). This is how you can do it.

First we will add a shared windows postscript printer, which is connected to
a redirected port.
this means, that all output of the newly created printer (which is actually
postscript data) is redirected to a program of our choice.
This program will be redrun, a part of the redmon suite. It will write the
output of the printer driver to a temporary file, and ivoke gsprint.
gsprint will read the temporary postscript file, and print it on our actual
printer.
after we have configured such a printer, we can access the new printer share
with linux using the generic postscript drivers

Windows configuration

0. make sure your actual printer is connected to your windows box, and
installed properly.

1. install all neccessary programs: AFPL ghostscript, gsview, redmon
the versions i used are:
afpl ghostscript version 8.14:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get814.htm

gsview 4.6:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get46.htm

redmon 1.7:
ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/ghostgum/redmon17.zip

download the appropriate software for windows and install it.
for redmon i suggest you copy/cut the contents of the zip archive into
C:\program files\redmon\

after you installed the software packages you need to know where some
programs are located. I think its best, you note these paths down for your
installation now. Its dependend on where you installed the previously
mentioned software packages.

what we need is:
gsprint.exe - on my installation its in
C:\program files\Ghostgum\gsview\gsprint.exe

redrun.exe - here its in
C:\program files\redmon\redrun.exe

2. setup the target printing share

2.1: create a postscript printer
- click: start->settings->printer and faxes
- right click in the new window, choose add printer
- click next
- select: "local printer attached to this computer"
- make sure that "automatically detect and install my plag and play
printers" is not selected
- click next
- select "use the following port"
- choose: "rpt1: redirected port"
- click next
- now you have to select a postscript printer. I have chosen: Manufacutrer:
XEROX, XPrint 4920/4925 PostScript
- click next
- now you have to give a name to the new printer. I suggest you give it a
name like: forward to %the_actual_printer_you_want_to_print_to%
- i dont think that you want the new printer to be your default printer, so
select no
- click next
- we do want to share the printer, so select "share name" and and enter a
name of your choice
- click next
- enter some comments or leave it alone
- click next
- for now we dont want to print a test page -> select no
- click next
- click finish

2.2: configure the redirection (most complex part of it all)
- right click on the new printer you have just created
- select properties
- click on the "ports" tab
- click on "add port", select "redirected port", click on "new port...",
- in the popup window: leave the port name alone, click ok
- now click on close
- scroll down to RPT1, select it, and click on "configure port"
- in the "redirect the port to the program" textbox: enter C
\progra~1\redmon\redrun.exe
note: C:\progra~1\redmon\redrun.exe is the path to redrun.exe on MY SYSTEM.
Enter the path to redrun.exe that you noted down earlier
progra~1 is an alias for "program files"
- in the "arguments for this program are" textbox: enter
C:\progra~1\ghostgum\gsview\gsprint.exe -printer
"the_printer_name_for_the_actual_printer_exactly_as_it_appears_in_printers_and_faxes"
%%1
note: again, replace the path to gsprint.exe with the path on your system.
- leave all other properties alone and click ok
- click on close

accessing the printer from linux

1. make sure that cups and samba are installed

2. enter kde controlcenter, click on "connected devices" (<- must be
something like that, i've got the german version) and then click on
printers

3. In the lower left corner is a button that has the name "administration
mode" or something like that... click on it and enter your root password

4. click on: add printer, click away the welcome message (click next) and
select "smb printing ressource" or something like that... click next

5. I hope you have disabled your guest account on windows... supposing you
did so, enter a username and a password for an account you have on your
windows box... if this doesnt work try the admin account... click next

6. in the next window click on browse and select a workgroup/pc/printer.
when all fields are filled (this is done automatically when you select a
printer), click next...

7. now you must select the printer driver... click on the checkbox:
"postscript printer" click next

8. now you can click next until you are prompted to give your printer a
name... when you have done so.. click next, then click finish...
that was it...

now your done... try to print to your printer from linux...
if you have any questions ask them to the newsgroup please...
if you encounter any problems during software installation, consult the
corresponding manuals
good luck
manuel gaus