Potato computer for viewing 4k movies over tv

Jun 15, 2018
my friend has a really old potato pc and he wants to view 4k movies on tv. will getting a new gpu solve the problem?

Solution
Yes, but you need a GPU with a max resolution equal or greater than 4k such as GTX 950 or better @30 fps.
But why do you need 4k? 1080p is the nowadays standard, 4k is only designed to be future proof.
Anyway, just to be safe, plz tell PC specs so I can confirm that it will work. :)

CoDrift

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
Yes, but you need a GPU with a max resolution equal or greater than 4k such as GTX 950 or better @30 fps.
But why do you need 4k? 1080p is the nowadays standard, 4k is only designed to be future proof.
Anyway, just to be safe, plz tell PC specs so I can confirm that it will work. :)

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Lol at "potato" pc.....not heard that one before.

Way too variable to say for sure. Current proc? PSU?

For the most part the "streaming" experience to a 4K TV is typically worse than the built in features of most smart TV now. In many cases you can't really stream 4K. It will say it's doing so on some apps, but when you take a deeper look it really isn't. You can run a "4K" desktop resolution, but the moment you open the app it will scale. Anything browser based won't be. Consider that anything you watch (filmed) older than a couple of years is going to be 1080, or less. 4K on a computer for purpose other than gaming is (for now) kind of pointless. Most streamed content, regardless of the source, is 30 frames.

Tell him to just buy a 4k streaming device like a Roku Ultra or Streaming Stick+. That'll be small enough to put next to the TV, and draws very little power so can be left on 24/7, and is specifically designed to play 4k content via streaming services or from a server on your LAN.

CoDrift

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018

Yes, agreed, a 4k TV box like this is basically BUILT for that purpose and has built-in Android+WiFi system, so basically it's an all-in-one. Also it's way cheaper than a GPU.

CoDrift

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018

Lmao, misread the word TV :lol: