[SOLVED] Potential cause for gpu death

kknd2

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2013
I have an gtx 780 3gb that died 2 nights ago. I was in the middle of watching youtube when I suddently lost signal and both of my monitors went black. My monitors remain pitch black after restart and shut down/start. I did the following to make sure it is the gpu that is causing this
-I installed the 780 into my second pcie slot. no signal
-I installed a different gpu (hd 6850) and I got signals.
(baking the gpu in 385f for 8 minutes didn't solve this. I used this method to fix my hd6850 with success before)

I noticed that my 780's fan did not move when I turned on my pc with it installed. I think this is a power delivery problem and not a gpu core connection issue. I didn't see any abnormality with any of the onboard capacitors though. Anyone else have any idea what might cause this? (i'm not very good with electricals, as in I wouldn't really know how to check if any circuit is short via a multimeter)

Any suggestions are welcome

PS: my psu is a 750w gold evga so it is not a psu problem :D

Solution
if a short circuit or other hardware failure caused damage within the GPU, there's pretty much nothing you can do to fix it.
with no fans spinning, no lights coming on, etc it is more than likely just dead.
having a 7-8 year old GPU finally bite the dust is not really surprising.

when\if you can find a new GPU to replace it may be a problem.
if a short circuit or other hardware failure caused damage within the GPU, there's pretty much nothing you can do to fix it.
with no fans spinning, no lights coming on, etc it is more than likely just dead.

Solution

kknd2

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2013

yeah I was really surprised that everything visually was just off while audio continue to play. I think i'm gonna try and tinker with it. If it is already dead then I can't do any further harm to it